Propane conversions

958mtm

So i've been interested in converting to propane and/or duel fuel setup for my next vehicle. Will probably be a newer tacoma. Does anyone know much about conversions, or if it's worth it? I'm also interested in getting a different tank like the long and skinny tanks you see for acentalyne welding or those you always see on Navy ships in Bond movies, simply because i want to minimize the space i take up when mounting and concealing, but i'm not sure if it's possible. Any info or comments would be helpful, thanks.

KToy

www.gotpropane.com

thats where i went but i doubt they got a tacoma setup yet but it has all the info u need. too me it looks like its difficult to convert to straight propane if its a efi engine.

but i want to do it becuz of the fact u can run on any angle and u get better startups and its a lot cleaner fuel type than gasoline.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Why propane an already efficient motor? The Taco 3.4L is a great motor, and converting it to propane would be a major PITA and LOSS of performance...

Caleb

cruiseroutfit said:
Why propane an already efficient motor? The Taco 3.4L is a great motor, and converting it to propane would be a major PITA and LOSS of performance...

these are my thoughts too...if it was a carbed motor then going to propane you can get the same benefits as going to EFI but usually cheaper. being its already FI its not worth it. A propane motor can put out pretty good numbers if its built for the propane. Talk to Harkinoff on here about it, his scout runs on propane and he seems to be pretty knowledgeable about it.

958mtm

Well i'd like to convert to propane or use duel fuel because it would extend my range, i've heard it's cheaper, but honestly i really can't confirm that, and for the environmental impact. With a newer tacoma i doubt it would be worth it for me because i'd want to build the motor right, in order to get the most i can with propane. But i'd love to do it if i can get away with some of the sacrafices. :-\

Plus I really hate to see my money in the hands of oil dictators but i'm sure it is anyway because propane is a nice bi-product of refining.

958mtm

O and if someone can hook me up with a contact (email or something ) on this install i'd be intested in talking with them further. I checked out gotpropane and some other sites, thanks for that. And again let's hear some opinions yo.

harkinoff

something to do...
These systems are not hard to install yourself. Like others have said why the install on a fuel injection motor already?( I guess the fuel option?) I run dual fuel because carbs suck wheeling, and propane was a much cheaper option over a EFI unit. I do like the fact that propane is only 1.39 gallon as certain shops (last time I fueled up) and the systems are idiot proof and pretty much fail proof (not much to go wrong with them).

A couple of links www.alternatefuelsracing.com and www.propanecarbs.com
His name is Richard, very knowledgeable dude. He may be part of gotpropane.com as well?

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
EZRhino said:
Because he'd have a full tank of 87 octane plus an additional tank of propane.......duh......

EZ :D

I guess my logic doesn't work like that... if you want a longer range... add a second fuel tank... Doesn't have to be propane by any means... In fact adding a second octane based fuel system will be a ton easier than converting a computer controlled EFI system to recognize and run the propane.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
cruiseroutfit said:
I guess my logic doesn't work like that... if you want a longer range... add a second fuel tank... Doesn't have to be propane by any means... In fact adding a second octane based fuel system will be a ton easier than converting a computer controlled EFI system to recognize and run the propane.

I agree.

EZ

harkinoff

something to do...
cruiseroutfit said:

I think you have heard to many stories about propane performance? What is the compression ratio on that Taco motor? I'm sure it would run fine without any tuning. I've heard some people put propane on just so they don't have to settle with gas prices. Gives them a choice, It's like a rebel sorta thing, A 60's, 70's alike statement :D

Last edited:

DrMoab

Now that I am working for a propane company I understand a little more how these systems work.
Propane upside...clean...runs cooler....runs on any angle.
downside....expencive...hard starting when its cold....can't buy it anywhere.

All the work trucks that we have run on propane and on the cold mornings they sometimes just wont start.

BTW they do EFI engines all the time...All they do is tell the computer to shut down the injectors and compensate for the diferent fuel burn rates....The EFI conversions actually run better then the carberated set ups do.

958mtm

DrMoab said:
Now that I am working for a propane company I understand a little more how these systems work.

All the work trucks that we have run on propane and on the cold mornings they sometimes just wont start.

BTW they do EFI engines all the time...All they do is tell the computer to shut down the injectors and compensate for the diferent fuel burn rates....The EFI conversions actually run better then the carberated set ups do.

Well they actually start great in cold weather, it just the water heaters that warm the tank gas i'm sure.

958mtm

harkinoff said:
I think you have heard to many stories about propane performance? What is the compression ratio on that Taco motor? I'm sure it would run fine without any tuning. I've heard some people put propane on just so they don't have to settle with gas prices. Gives them a choice, It's like a rebel sorta thing, A 60's, 70's alike statement :D

Ha, that's funny but your right it's pretty much just so i can say " @^%$ you " to the oil and auto industry and try to promote a transition away from gasoline and fossil fuels all together. I don't care about the cost, or performance without tuning, i just want to say HEY WAKE UP you can get around without using gas or supporting corupt regimes in the middle east/united states. Yes i know propane is a fossile fuel and can/is widely produced through oil drilling and refining but still it's looked at as an alternative fuel and has been greatly discouaged by the auto industry. I will look forward to creating something that will change the whole re-fuel situation one day. Anyone wanting to seriously work on this project let me know. I've haven't begun but the ideas are a brewing......trust me.

R

rockdog

DrMoab said:

So, Dr. You got any blown up toyota propane forklifts sitt'en around anywhere in your propane travels? Let me know if you see any, ok?
Thanks, Dog

harkinoff

something to do...
DrMoab said:

That's funny... The system I'm running is off a truck from Wyoming, It always started fine, go out when it's way below 0 and it started like it had already been warmed up. Sounds like someone needs to tune or put a choke (prime unit on your vehicles). and there was no tank heater on this truck.