propane power jeep j-10

J.D. Howells

I am new to this whole building a big rig thing. I love it though I have a 1982 jeep j-10 and I am putting in a AMC 401 w/ th400 and 205t-case I am looking to propane power the 401 but dont really know what to get I have looked but never got the info I needed so if you have info it would be greatly appreciated

Unichev

Propane Guy is about half the cost of the Got Propane Kit. Maybe even 1/3 of the price. I am very happy with the components I got from PropaneGuy.com
I installed everything, didnt adjust anything, and it started right up the first time and runs awesome.

J.D. Howells

thanks

I appreciate your info it really helped out I have been blown off by Impco and these web sights are great thanks. oh one more question is it possible to run off gas and propane and I hear you have to advance your timeing.

harkinoff

something to do...
J.D. Howells said:
I appreciate your info it really helped out I have been blown off by Impco and these web sights are great thanks. oh one more question is it possible to run off gas and propane and I hear you have to advance your timeing.
Runs fine on either.. No advancing needed...

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
Resurrection

I just talked to an engine shop and they said to lower the compression for propane. Everyone else says increase it. Say the compression in the motor is 8:1 now what should it be to take advantage of propane? Everyone with a propane motor speak your mind please because I am confused.
Thnks.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
propane octane runs anywhere from 104-110 octane, so you can build a preety high compression ratio. I run propane in my samurai, and I'm buil;ding another motor right now I think somewhere around 10.5 TO 11 is what I'm shooting for.

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
Really?

Thanks for the insight. Are you having the motor built or doing it yourself? I also need to know what the availability of propane is in Moab. The rig is going to be a 1993 Suburban with a stroked 396 running propane. It will carry in the neighborhood of 30-40 gallons ( I have the room :D ) so that I don't need to worry about longer trails but I will need to refill eventually. Thanks for any input and suggestions.

way2nosty

rkillpack said:
I just talked to an engine shop and they said to lower the compression for propane. Everyone else says increase it. Say the compression in the motor is 8:1 now what should it be to take advantage of propane? Everyone with a propane motor speak your mind please because I am confused.
Thnks.

The machine shop isn't really concerned about the compression ratio, it's more about the flame front and flame travel, propane doesn't ignite the same way that gasoline does, it isn't a suspension of fuel in air, it is actually a gas, which means it will have an almost random flame front because of differences in thermals within the engine. It isn't a bad thing, but I would advise either lowering the compression ration - I wouldn't go to 8 9.0 - 10.0 is good, then you could run pump gas and still have good power should you change your mind, or getting a coated forged hyperutechtic piston, it will be able to take any increased forces.

It is a common misconception that propane runs at above 100 octane, the truth of the matter is that first there is no ocatene in propane. Second, in actuallity it could be compared to more like 84 octane - pound for pound. the reason that it "feels" like 100+ ocate is because of the cooling effect of the gas as it evaporates on the intake charge of air, creates a cooler more dense charge of air-gas which equates to more power. Propane is more susceptible to detonation then gasoline mostly because it is poorly regulated, it also tends to lean-burn slightly. polishing the combustion chamber and removing any ridges - you said big block so remove the wedge ridge and polish it, also stainless valves and cooler plugs will go a long way for reliable performance, and increasing engine life.

I know this post is getting long, but I have done a significant amount of research on this, and this may be helpful.

another thing to consider is that there is no lubrication in propane, and it tends to pull lubrication off the fire ring, so slighty larger ring gaps are a good idea too. or it's a chevy, just don't change the valve guide seals, works the same, or use a hybrid system gas - and - gasoline, and use them both.

way2nosty

rkillpack said:
Thanks for the insight. Hoping not to offend, this information was all from research or experience having one built? I am looking for a shop that will build this motor, any recommendations Way2Nosty?

No - I haven't built one, I was seriously considering it, but, I did a ton of researched into it - occupational hazzard -, I made the decision to go injected, on a Chevy, it's ~$300 for a complete tbi setup less the pump, I'm running a big block TBI unit on my 350 with slight modification to a holly intake. Sure, there is the argument that propane is simple, but for me, so is tbi - I keep a spare Ignition module and Coil in my box. I don't want to influence your decision, but I can give you the basis of mine, for a street driven rig, it's not worth it in my opinion, it can be a pain in the a$$ to find a place to fill a tank on a sunday night at 11:00 compared to Gasoline, that was a large consideration on my part.

In terms of taking it to a shop, I use cleggs in Provo, as a machine shop they do good work, But, it's just building a motor with good High quality forged hyper utechtic( I keep mispelling that word) pistons. Cam, Timing, etc. can all be stock for the most part, You'll need a pretty hefty propane system to feed a thirsty big block, so if you buy one, buy the biggest one they have.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I am bjust starting to build my own mototr except the machine work, but I will go through cleggs in orem also. They're gonna mill my head and grind it etc. I only have an 8 gallon tank, and it lasts me all weekend. 1 day 6-8 hours usually uses 2.5-3 gallons. Also there are 2 stations in moab at the gas stations I believe

harkinoff

something to do...
I carry extra tanks when I go on distant trips. Saves you a ton of money and know worries.. My puller will have 110 gallons also, So I will have a supply there... Yes my puller will be dual fuel as well.