Propane

jdub

Scrambler
This question is for those who have it or any experience with it. I have the chance to redo the motor of a vehicle and was wondering if it is as straight forward as I have heard?

ChestonScout I noticed you saying you loved it. You also had a fuel problem on a recent trip are they symptoms of the propane or other issues?

THanx

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Loved mine when I had the samurai. Got my kit through gotpropane.com. Cary is an awesome guy to deal with. no problems what so ever

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I bought my dual fuel kit on ebay, it was new never installed from the 80's for like nothing.... love it! The gas rocks the 454 and the propane eats the climbs.

Easy install.

jdub

Scrambler
I'd be interested in a dual fuel system. Shawn, so do you recommend those OEm systems like you used? Gotpropane has a flawless, easy system from my research.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
You know, it works good for my application. The cool thing about got-propane is that it can be built for your application. I have seen these dual fuel systems in Pick n Pull on old service trucks. But, not every day if you know what I mean... Just to compare, I paid $280.00 for my compete system including hoses and clamps, I mean complete. Check out ebay if you have time to wait and watch you might find a killer deal especially since gas prices are so low people are not looking for alternate fuels.

harkinoff

something to do...
Wrecking yards "picked my last setup for 50 buck complete" or like shawn said, E-bay:) If I had room in the Jeep, it would be Propane as well. Secret is, build the engine for Propane and it will run sweet!

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I do love the Propane and my motor is giving it a bad name.

Propane is all run off of vaccume. My motor has some big warpage issues I think. I just think that when its warm...Im not getting the vaccume required to feed the engine.

The propane is very simple.

I am in the process of swapping motors so hopefully I wont have any more problems.

Mine is the gotpropane.com kit. Cary is awesome. I have called him numerous times and he is always willing to drop what hes doing to help. He has also told me if I want I can send the kit back and he will check it and fix it if needs be for free. He is the one that got me searching for vaccume problems.

It was perfect for me because I didnt have time before TTC to piece a kit together. Im sure you could do it pretty cheap. I just liked having everything I need in 1 box.

Good luck!

jdub

Scrambler
Do you need to know much to be able to tune it ? Is it any harder to tune than a traditional carb?

I heard it was hard to find tanks but I found new ones on KSL for $35.

What have you seen as far as fuel prices? are the stations easy to deal with? I guess if you take a forklift tank to them they'll know what to do with it.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Do you need to know much to be able to tune it ? Is it any harder to tune than a traditional carb?

I heard it was hard to find tanks but I found new ones on KSL for $35.

What have you seen as far as fuel prices? are the stations easy to deal with? I guess if you take a forklift tank to them they'll know what to do with it.

As far as tuning goes. If you get the gotpropane kit it will be setup for your motor already. Then you can play with your timing to get the most out of it. You usually advance it more than stock.

If you find tanks for 35 bucks buy them!! I got mine used for 75 each. New forklift tanks from a store are around 140

Any place that fills propane will be able to fill the forklift tanks.

The only problems I have ran into filling them is 99% of stores will not fill tanks at night. I have never gotten a reason out of anyone. Thats just their policy.

The last time I filled my tanks (about a month ago) I paid 2.50 a gallon. Im sure its gone down. It is usually around the same price as gas in my experience