Protest at Muddy Creek

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Dear Action Alert Subscribers,

****Disclaimer: this action / protest IS NOT being undertaken by USA-ALL it is a separate organization****

We though many of you would want to know about this. I got this a day or two ago. We called Richard and he is asking any and all who wish to come and support the protest is welcome. But only those who are elderly or disabled will be apart of the actual protest ride. Call Richard if you're interested in participating. And if you do attend please be polite, calm, and cool with the radical enviros that are sure to be there to try to stop the ride. The ride will only go down to the creek and back they will not travel the entire road and will not “damage” and resources. This section of the road has been bulldozed and has culverts in it. It is clearly a legal road. This is a premium RS 2477 ROW in Emery County, as soon as you cross the Emery Wayne County line the road is open and goes right to Factory Butte. There are active mining claims on this closed road and some state land. BLM has been notified and is very concerned over this and will likely be there. BLM illegally closed this road in the San Rafael Travel Plan. Emery County has this road listed on their general plan. SUWA parties and discuses their hate for us every fall (actually this weekend) at the mine site (yeah I know unbelievable) where this road is closed and the protest will occur. USA-ALL will have representation at this protest but we will not be participating in the actual ride.

Travel time from SLC is approximately 3 ½ hours (taking highway 6, I-70, Hwy 24, county road # 1012) for directions see the San Rafael Travel map. Other resources are the hart draw USGS quad, and Emery County’s Website. The general location is about 42 road miles south west of Temple Mountain which is about 7 miles north of Goblin Valley, Utah you may also access it from I-70 ranch exit 129 it is 44 miles south by graded road.

Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 2:23 PM
To: info@usaall.org
Subject: Press Release: Disabled Americans Ride Closed Roads

****PRESS RELEASE-------FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE****

AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACCESS ALLIANCE FREEDOM DAY RIDE

On October 14, 2006 at 1 pm, members of the Americans with Disabilities Access Alliance (ADAA) will ride past BLM barriers on the Muddy River Road in protest of BLM Policies discriminating against disabled Americans.

In the 2003 San Rafael Travel Management Plan, the BLM, pandering to radical environmental groups, illegally closed 468 miles of historic roads and trails.

“The main mission of the BLM these days is to close roads to people who travel on vehicles” says ADAA president Richard Beardall. “They don’t care that elderly and disabled people will be shut of these lands forever.”

According to Beardall: “The BLM’s only concern is pleasing the environmentalists. They don’t care about anything else including real threats to the ecosystem like the Tamarisk invasion. All they want to do is close roads to create new Wilderness”.

The San Rafael Swell is a spectacularly scenic region that was the focus of uranium boom of the 1950’s. As a result, the entire area was swarmed by prospectors and miners creating an elaborate road system. The BLM is now attempting to erase this legacy to appease the Wilderness Advocacy Groups. This process will sacrifice our most vulnerable people on the altar of radical environmentalism.

Beardall says: “We don’t like breaking the law, but sometimes civil disobedience is the only way to address injustice. Our African-American brothers made little progress before Rosa Parks refused to move to the back of the bus”.

ADAA invites Price Field Office Manager Roger Bankert and BLM law enforcement to attend, join in the ceremony, and issue citations so this grievance can be brought before the courts.

For further information call Richard Beardall at 801-380- 9055

Last edited:

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
It was an illegally closed trail. I'd say why not?

It's just seems weird i guess. I know if I was with the BLM, and I knew there was a bunch of guy's where going to go knock down a fence, and run a trail.
The heck if I'd help with keeping roads open in the futur.

Just feel it would be better to go the BLM with proof that it was illegaly closed instead of knock a fence down, and run it.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Just seems like theres a better way to resolve this then to knock down a fence, and run the trail.
I would be interested in any ideas that have not been beat to death already. It's not a fence , its a barricade and they will simply move it to the side. They arent running the entire trail just about 1/4 mile of it.There will be no impact to resources, there will be no violence or crude language. Go to our website and look at the pictures. www.usaall.org
BLM can close things with the speed of light but to re-open it could take decades. Some of the people in the ADAA dont have that long, I dont blame them for the actions they are taking.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
Kris,

Utah counties have been going to the BLM with "Proof' for decades. BLM has disregarded the "Proof". Some roads have been opened or aknowledged as County / State roads, but many have not. BLM would rather allow a court decide meanwhile tax payer dollars are used to represent BOTH sides. When a lesser court rules either way it ends up going to federal appeals court thus taking more time and money. I suspect some of this issue will end up in the Supreme Court in not too many years.

If BLM closed the road in front of your house would you just accept it, ask nicely for BLM to re-open it, and if they refuse be willing to fight them in court for years at your expense, mean while the road remains closed? I dont think so.

Last edited:

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
True I wouldn't be happy about the road being closed in front of my house. I'm not disagreeing with you on this i'm just saying there just seems to be a better way instead of breaking the law maybe there's not? I guess I'm not as extreme as some others i guess.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
If BLM said the road in font of your house is closed; Would you accept it as though those in authority over that road have spoken? If an ice cream truck driver pulled you over and gave you a ticket for speeding would you pay it? I respect that it seems like "law breaking" but BLM has no authority over county and state roads. They have over stepped thier bounds. Read the recent 10th circut decision on RS 2477. Now even with a ruling in place, and direction from Secretary Norton BLM still has closed or allowed roads to remain closed in which they have no authority over. It is not breaking the law to travel on a road that the state and county claim and have proof of ownership. As is the case with the Muddy River road.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
AHHH! Why is it extreme to stand up for your rights? Oh and I'm not attacking you I know your on our side :), I know it would be better if we all just got along, but honestly in some places I dont think the BLM wants to get along. They dont care about the people of this country. They have thier own agenda and to heck with everyone else. Not all agency people are this way, there are some good guys too.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Why was this road closed? Greenie's? There has to be a good reason? I work for the state in a semi law enforcement position. I know how long it takes to get stuff turned around. If there was a good reason for closing the road infornt of my house then I guess I'd have to live with it. But if they closed it just for kicks then yes i would have a problem. I don't make enough money to pay for tickets for breaking the law knowingly in front of a officer.

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
I hear you on the money thing! BLM claims "resource damage" of course that is their standard generic answer, and its meaning could be debated at length. BUT even if there is resource damage the road is a county right of way granted by Congress. Again BLM doesn’t have authority to close the road or remove the right of way even if there is resource damage. Now if the damage was sooo severe it was adversely affecting adjacent resources they may have some claim but it would likely involve mitigation not closure. Congress or the Supreme Court is the only entities that could ultimately take it away. This is way over BLM or DOI's head.

Why didn’t gang green appeal the 10th circuit ruling...because they know they would lose and the fight over RS 2477 would be more or less over. SUWA has had a long history of trying to get this road closed; it is sorta iconic for them. It is where their long time apologist congressman Wayne Owens was said to have an epiphany that firmed up his support for the need for more Wilderness in Utah. SUWA holds their annual "round up" here every year for a reason. Just as is the case with Factory Butte (had I not experienced this first hand i might not believe this) Federal agencies particularly the BLM COWER at the threat of law suits for the multi-million dollar legal machine of Gang Green. The bottom line is BLM caved in and sold out the American public. This would be disgusting on a BLM system road but to attempt the closure and theft of a county road, wow, this is unacceptable and we the people MUST hold them accountable and stand up for our rights, if we don’t put this agency in check they will continue to abuse and assume power that is not granted to them.

Last edited:
Why was this road closed? Greenie's? There has to be a good reason?

No there doesn't, and there usually isn't. You mentioned that it seems like other things should be tried before going the route of this planned protest. Those things have been tried. We've presented our side, and it has been ignored The BLM is the one breaking the law by closing roads legally claimed by the county. Not everyone in the gov't is objective. Some have an agenda.