providence canyon conditions

logansportage

Yes I do know what a trials bike is and no you still can't guarantee it. All you can guarantee is that you will be as minimal of an impact as you can be. You can't guarantee you will be lower impact than anyone else.

As far as a sledge-hammer compared to a feather, I highly doubt your trials bike weighs as little as a feather and I know my 4WD ways a whole lot more than a sledge-hammer.

Logansportage

Yota

Seriously? Why is there an argument about who rides what? For crying out loud.... We could all just hop in a plane and fly above the canyon and cause no damage to the land. (if someone wants to offer) We could all walk. But if I cut across my lawn enough guess what starts to form?
But you see, neither of those activities have anything to do with the term "4 wheel drive" or "4x4" or "rock crawling"
If I'm not mistaken there's probably a forum where one can discuss "trials biking"
All I'm trying to say is it doesn't matter what in the world you're doing, if it requires traction on the ground, it requires traction on the ground. (trials biking requires immaculate traction/braking, which pavement structures provide.) I thought this thread was about a trail and it's condition and what we the public can conclude to accommodate what this site is about.

Last edited:

crawldaddy

I just got back from Prov canyon and can verify that its still closed. But the conservation corps just finished a trail that starts where the road is closed and takes you up to the Quarry. Its an amazing single track for Mt Bikes. Its got some tight switch backs as well as some amazing roller jumps. The road is beyond trashed up near the Quarry, Ill try to get some pictures next time that I'm up. I now understand why this will take a lot of work to repair.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Most likely it will be closed till next season. Considering it has been closed all summer and winter is coming can't see it being repaired for a month before they close it for winter.

I called Logan forest service and they told me that Prov will be closed until the funding from Uncle Sam comes in. They are hoping to get started before the snow if they can, otherwise in the spring.

shizzdizzle

Does anybody have an update on Providence Canyon?

I am assuming the road going up to the quarry is not yet repaired, can anyone confirm this?

Does anybody think there is a chance that the road past the quarry will open at all in 2012? I never made it up that far last year so I have no idea on the extent of the damage.

Also any info on Millville Canyon would be appreciated. Was it ever fully opened to vehicles last year? Is there any damage to the trail past the gate at the top?

I know its a little early to be thinking about offroading around Logan, but I cant wait!

I ran into the same thing Cherokeester did at millville. Should be open in another month or so... Ran up Providence canyon on Tuesday, it's as wet and nasty as you'd expect, and due to the snow combined with my stocker jeep and road tires I didn't make it very far up. I would imagine the gates are closed farther up.

XJEEPER

A U4/RME work party with some locals in the construction biz kicking in a backhoe or two for the day could get the erosion from last years runoff repaired and get the trail opened back up. The USFS should be more than cooperative if their budget doesnt have to be tapped for the repairs and they could direct the effort.

Cherokeester

Trashed to be sure, I would be willing to head or start a group to push the usfs into some action. If U4 was willing to back us some that would certainly help. We could come up with a title like the PCC (Providence Canyon Coalition) or something like that just to make the wheel squeaky. Maybe we could get some grease out of the usfs and at least start something. I would hate to see another year go by and not have access to that canyon.