Provo: WTF?

StrobeNGH

no user title
Seriously, what is wrong with Provo.

And no, it isn't the religion. There are normal LDS people across the world, but they act nothing like Provo-ites.

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/271768/17/

Also:
"This letter is in reference to your property located at ____________________ in Provo.

The Provo Police Department has obtained information based on arrest record of ______________

This evidence shows that _____________ was arrested for possession of Methamphetamines, possession cocaine , and possession of drug paraphernalia on _____________. Therefore nuisance exists on the property that you own, in violation of 78-38-9, Utah Code Annotated. We hope you agree that this type of activity in the community is unacceptable.

Our primary concern is for the residents in that neighborhood who are living in unnecessary fear and danger should this kind of illegal activity be allowed to continue.

As members of the Provo Police Department we are asking for you cooperation by evicting your son ______________ as soon as possible.
We are confident that you may not have been aware of the illegal and dangerous activity that was occurring on your property, and that you will take the appropriate steps to ensure that your offending tenant is evicted.

Please be advised that if you allow __________ to continue to reside in your home at ___________, the City will have no choice but to proceed with civil abatement process authorized by the State of Utah Code section 78-38-9, Utah Code Annotated. The statute mandates that you be made a party defendant and if Provo City demonstrates that a
nuisances exists, the City can also collect it's cost and attorney's fees against you.

In addition, should the City develop sufficient facts showing an ongoing drug nuisances, the City may seek forfeitures of real property, automobiels and other property used for the distribution, storage or manufacture of contgrolled substances pursuant to the section 58-37-8, Utah Code Annotated.

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns,

Thank you,

Sgt. D. Jensen
Provo Police Dept.

StrobeNGH

no user title
Tell me the ACLU is doing their job and just jumping all over this one.

Holy CRAP.

They are reviewing the code right now. Many board members are demanding action.

I grew up despising the ACLU and like-minded groups . . . but the more I see the more I realize how wonderful a multiple party system is.

If only the ACLU would leave politics out of some of their actions, I might join.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If the ACLU would defend white, gun-owning, male, SUV-owning, Republican Christians with as much fervor as many of their other clients, I'd be all for them as well.

:D

StrobeNGH

no user title
If the ACLU would defend white, gun-owning, male, SUV-owning, Republican Christians with as much fervor as many of their other clients, I'd be all for them as well.

:D

When the U of U first enacted their CCW ban in 2002-ish, I contacted the local ACLU staff attorney to ask if the ACLU would be willing to fight against the U's ban.

She literally laughed and hung up.

utahxjer

It's a dumb idea until your next door neighbor is selling cocaine, meth, heroin, etc. and your kids try to play outside and cars are pulling up constantly to purchase "goods."

Neighbors who have delt with that love the idea. I like it, makes another consequence for using and or dealing.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It's still a dumb idea: it punishes those who are not guilty of the crime. Yes, many parents of drug dealers know, but lots don't. Arrest the dealer, punish them.

utahxjer

It's still a dumb idea: it punishes those who are not guilty of the crime. Yes, many parents of drug dealers know, but lots don't. Arrest the dealer, punish them.

I read it as the son was the one to be evicted not the parents. I am under the impression that alot of cities are doing something similar to this.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I read it as the son was the one to be evicted not the parents. I am under the impression that alot of cities are doing something similar to this.

Read it again. It speaks directly to the homeonwer who is allowing the illegal drug traffiking or "ongoing drug nuisances", by letting the offending person live there.. Also that if they go to court, that the parents be billed for all the attorney fees.

I get so tired of drug dealers... My dad and I have been complaining to the city for years now, but it's never been solved in my neighborhood.

Last edited:

utahxjer

I'm tellin ya, when that day comes and this is going on next door to you and your kids are in the back yard when meth is being smoked on the other side of the fence, you'll be wanting them gone by any means possible.

This is a classic case of "your damned if you do and damned if you don't" If the police depts don't do anything then the neighbors are pissed at them.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I DID have it going on in my back yard-- the house across the street from my back yard, anyway. I wanted them gone by the appropriate means, not "any means possible". In this case, that ended up being a raid and several arrests-- of the kids, who were selling meth and crack when their parents were at work.

I don't think it's a case of "damned if you do" so much as it is "overarching authority" in action.

We don't have to turn into a Draconian police state to deal with crime effectively. Courts are HUGE part of the problem.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
Courts are HUGE part of the problem.

I agree! Even if they did put this into effect the courts more than likely wouldn't hold to it. IMO

My father is a police officer and he deals with the same people over and over again because they get let off in court and sent right back to the streets.

utahxjer

I DID have it going on in my back yard-- the house across the street from my back yard, anyway. I wanted them gone by the appropriate means, not "any means possible". In this case, that ended up being a raid and several arrests-- of the kids, who were selling meth and crack when their parents were at work.

I don't think it's a case of "damned if you do" so much as it is "overarching authority" in action.

We don't have to turn into a Draconian police state to deal with crime effectively. Courts are HUGE part of the problem.

Well it's hard to understand what i'm trying to "type," any means possible meaning, you would assist in helping law enforcement anyway you could.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i walk out to offending cars, snap a pics or write down the plate number.. We keep a log, and give that to the cops... Though they have yet to try to really stop it..

StrobeNGH

no user title
i walk out to offending cars, snap a pics or write down the plate number.. We keep a log, and give that to the cops... Though they have yet to try to really stop it..

Ya'll are assuming that it was distribution. It wasn't. It was simple possession.

These parents have a son who has a drug addiction. In the midst of helping him, Provo (big brother) comes and tells them they need to evict their OWN SON or else risk civil suit.

HOW is that right?
Let's punish parents for having children who have made bad choices.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well it's hard to understand what i'm trying to "type," any means possible meaning, you would assist in helping law enforcement anyway you could.

I hear that! But this is about taking someone's HOUSE if they don't kick their kids out. I think it's a little much, a little too "Big Brother", just like using RICO to sieze individuals' cars in drug busts. Overstepping bounds.

I get what you mean though... I just don't think this Provo policy is the right way.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I kind of like the drug houses. They like to keep a low profile so they are always quiet and never complain about anything. Perfect neighbors ;)