Pulling leafs to lower a Rig

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm working on a diffrent suspension setup on the front of the 'Yota and want to lower it atleast 2". I had 4" YJ Leafs (5" Lift on a Toyota) and a 3/4" Shackle. Nearly 6" of lift! Now, I want to set it up with around 4" and a nearly flat spring.

I'm going to use a set of Rancho 44044's, which have 6 leafs. I'm definatley going to pull one leaf to get the spring pack to settle, but was considering pulling 2. The 44044's in stock form lift a Toyota 5-5.5", so it would be close to the same as before, unless I pull some leafs.

My idea (Stolen from Von) would be to pull 2 leafs, wheel it a couple times untill the springs settle to the desired height, then add those 2 leafs so the spring pack doesn't fatiuge.

Any reason it shouldn't work? Running the 4 leaf pack wouldn't be permanant, just untill I get the springs lowered a bit.

Caleb

guys run the 44044s with 4 leaves in Jeeps quite often...I think adding the leaves back in the pro-long their life is a good idea though...so in other words what I am saying is I see no issues with doing that (other than you may be a little taller if you add both leaves back in, maybe just add one in and see how it is:confused: )

:)

I had the bottom springs of my Old Man Emu's taken out of the fronts. Once it broke in, it was way tooooooooooooo soft. It started making ocean looking springs :D Big waves in them :D Not to mention the Zuk doesn't have after-market bump stops, boy you felt it bottom out :eek: And your regular off road speed (from one trail to the next) had to be greatly reduced due to the soft suspension. :p They're were back in half way through this past season and no difference when it flexes. They're gone for good this upcoming season, a 4-link suspension will be taking over :D

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Greg said:
The 44044's in stock form lift a Toyota 5-5.5",

wow, a 2 1/2" spring giving you that much lift....

My 44044 did lift the Cruiser so I guess it would lift the truck, I just don't see it lifting it 5".

The stock Wagoneer springs are a 5 pack, I wouldn't remove any more than one spring and IU would just remove the lower spring.
I have read the 44044's do loose quite a bit of lift after some time.
I will also say, the ones I placed on the front of the Cruiser work well and haven't settled at all.

Bones

I run them on the front of my 86 Yota and have a winch, blah blah blah. I removed the bottom leaf after I did the SAS and have not put it back in (actually it's an AAL on my 2WD Taco now) :rofl: They sit near flat after a year and a half and flex rexl good IMO. I have a 1.5" drop hanger and 1.5" shackles and they sit at a 35* angle and I have it set for about 4-5" of up travel with the bumpstomp being SMASHED!

I wish my rear All Pros did half as well as these do. I like em.

troutbum

cubi-kill
Shawn said:
wow, a 2 1/2" spring giving you that much lift....

My 44044 did lift the Cruiser so I guess it would lift the truck, I just don't see it lifting it 5".
Damn just confirms that I drive a heavy pig of a rig :rolleyes: , They are flat under the front of the scout.

you may want to consider an anti-wrap up front if you are going to run a smaller pack? Don't know if it is needed, just a thought.