Pulling Tandem? Who does it and what is your opinion.

webyepn

gone yeepn
So when I get my Jeep done I am wanting to pull tandem with my 2005 Dodge Dually and I have a 32' fifth wheel. The way I plan to set it up is to have trailer breaks on the flat bed and as usual the trailer has breaks. Is anyone doing this on here and what kind of luck have they had? Honeymoon 374.jpgsept. 008.jpg

Toad

Not a chance would i do that. That is a lot of weight for the chassis of that fifth wheel to handle. I could see maybe a couple of four wheelers, small boat, side by side, etc. I have only pulled doubles with a small camp trailer so my experience is a limited. I think your legal limit is 65 feet in utah.

R

rockdog

I have done it. And will in the future. I have a 27 foot Hornet fifth wheel and have pulled my boat behind it. It is surprising how well it handles. It's a lot of weight so it pulls your truck down pretty good.
I would never pull doubles with two bumper pulls. I tried to tell family members not to do it. Scattered the whole works all over Provo canyon. I kinda beefed up the rear frame on my trailer. And I would imagine you would have to do more than I did pulling a Jeep on a flat bed.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
From what I've seen, this seems to be the ideal way to have your cake and eat it to. I believe I will do this in the future. Probably 2-3 times per year? You'll need to make sure of a few things on the fifth wheel and a few things on the flatbed trailer.

Fifth wheel: Needs a full frame with some gusseting from the hitch to areas further up the frame on your fifth. Obviously needs brakes.

Tandem: Keep the weight down as LOW (GCVW) as you can. Lightweight trailer with brakes. I'll probably lighten the Jeep up as much as I feel like I can as well. I think you're going to have a bit of a dance on where to put your load on the flatbed. You can't load all the weight on the flatbed as you'll need some tongue weight to track decently. However, you can't put so much that you unload the pin weight on the fifth wheel. Seems like there will be a balancing act here.

Keep the speed down and pretend you're a Class C esp. going down hills or in inclement weather. You're towing at or over capacity for your tow vehicle, so mind your weights to stay legal. This is called GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight). Your tow rig, towable and towable #2 have to be under the max towing capacity for your truck chassis for how it's equipped. You're not going to be able to get the multi-slide, 37' fifth wheel. You'll have to live with a 25-29'ish fifth that has a burly frame (and "burly" in RV land is like 1/8" channel or rectangular tube--you're going to need to have some structure to mount your hitch to). If you're over weight and get in a wreck, you're working for someone else the rest of your life because I don't think your insurance is going to take care of you.

I was convinced NOT to do this. I think it can be done with a lot of thought and a lot of care while towing (I think you'll be driving 1/8-1/4 mile ahead at all times--not that I don't try to do that anyway) and loading. If you're cruising 80+ with this load, I think you're an idiot. I think if you keep your speeds moderate and your length under the 65', you can do "ok" with this load. Is it ideal? No Can it be done safely? yes Careful selection of your equipment will be required.

In my mind, I think the smartest thing to do is get a truck that can handle hauling your crawler then tow a bumper tow camp trailer off of that. Second smartest thing would be a Class A or C that tows (slowish unless you spent some $ on your deezel pusher) but that has a couple of drawbacks. The last option that seems safe is the fifth wheel (selected chassis) towing a LIGHT trailer/Jeep combo.

ricsrx

i did it all the time going out to the dunes with a 30' toy hauler and a light weight trailer on the back for my buggy, i dont think would have done it if i was pulling a heavy flatbed and a 3k vehicle... I would have had to upgrade to a dulley, the frame of the fiver could have easily handled it.

I sold the trailer and bought a c class motor home thinking i could pull a larger bumper pull, i bought a 28' enclosed trailer.... Thats not going to happen, the last 12 feet of the frame on the motor home would have to be beefed way up and then i still dont think that it has the power and stability to handle it.the tongue weight of the trailer would pull the back of the motor home off, but i would sure like to try

LT.

Unless I have missed my mark I suspect you will be over weight. I believe that in 2005 your weight limits are for the duallys were rated to pull 21,000 GCVWR with 3.73 gears and 23,000 with 4.10 gears. We all know they will pull much much more........but that was what Chrysler rated them at. (underated them at I should say.....for their own liability reasons) I believe this is for the 2wd. 4wd's will be lower. Also, you need to keep in mind your Class D license is only good for 26,000 total. I suspect that your jeep and trailer will weigh around 6,000 lbs. Your fifth wheel trailer I should suspect would be 10,000 plus and may even be around 15,000. I don't know for sure just a guess.

I am with Mbryson on this and I have tandem towed myself. IF you make good decisions on your load, IF you get the fifth wheel frame supported, IF you can squeeze all the weight within the working limits of the truck and the trailer, IF you have properly working brakes on all axles, THEN yes, you can do this. Would I advise it..... not with your configuration. I am not saying you can't but, I would be very careful. If I was your insurance company and anything was even the slightest out of place you would be on your own.

LT.

webyepn

gone yeepn
From what I've seen, this seems to be the ideal way to have your cake and eat it to. I believe I will do this in the future. Probably 2-3 times per year? You'll need to make sure of a few things on the fifth wheel and a few things on the flatbed trailer.

Fifth wheel: Needs a full frame with some gusseting from the hitch to areas further up the frame on your fifth. Obviously needs brakes.

Tandem: Keep the weight down as LOW (GCVW) as you can. Lightweight trailer with brakes. I'll probably lighten the Jeep up as much as I feel like I can as well. I think you're going to have a bit of a dance on where to put your load on the flatbed. You can't load all the weight on the flatbed as you'll need some tongue weight to track decently. However, you can't put so much that you unload the pin weight on the fifth wheel. Seems like there will be a balancing act here.

Keep the speed down and pretend you're a Class C esp. going down hills or in inclement weather. You're towing at or over capacity for your tow vehicle, so mind your weights to stay legal. This is called GCVW (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight). Your tow rig, towable and towable #2 have to be under the max towing capacity for your truck chassis for how it's equipped. You're not going to be able to get the multi-slide, 37' fifth wheel. You'll have to live with a 25-29'ish fifth that has a burly frame (and "burly" in RV land is like 1/8" channel or rectangular tube--you're going to need to have some structure to mount your hitch to). If you're over weight and get in a wreck, you're working for someone else the rest of your life because I don't think your insurance is going to take care of you.

I was convinced NOT to do this. I think it can be done with a lot of thought and a lot of care while towing (I think you'll be driving 1/8-1/4 mile ahead at all times--not that I don't try to do that anyway) and loading. If you're cruising 80+ with this load, I think you're an idiot. I think if you keep your speeds moderate and your length under the 65', you can do "ok" with this load. Is it ideal? No Can it be done safely? yes Careful selection of your equipment will be required.

In my mind, I think the smartest thing to do is get a truck that can handle hauling your crawler then tow a bumper tow camp trailer off of that. Second smartest thing would be a Class A or C that tows (slowish unless you spent some $ on your deezel pusher) but that has a couple of drawbacks. The last option that seems safe is the fifth wheel (selected chassis) towing a LIGHT trailer/Jeep combo.

When I purchased my fifth wheel I specifically looked at the size of the frame and the position of the axles. I wanted the axles farther back then more centered. I aslo looked at the frame. With having a slide it has a big I-beam frame. The hitch I not only bolted threw the frame but I also clamped it to the frame so the only way that is coming off is if the whole back end comes with it. As for the axles I made sure the were at least the six lug axles not five lug. I cant remember the rating on the axles but I know that they are more than the weight of the trailer.

I am going to build a tow trailer for the jeep that will only be about big enought for it to rest on and as light weight as possible. Also so that it is centered to reduce tong weight on the trailer. My thought is that I can adjust the tong weight to where it is just enough that it pulls well so that basically I am just pulling dead weight.

As for driving yes if I have that big of a load there will be alot of concentration and slow speeds. The GCVW is a very good point I would have to look at were I am at and see if I am over for my truck. I think that I will still be under for the size of truck I have. I have taken mesurements and I am right at 62' so I should be fine there. I also herd though that you can purchase a oversized permit for like 50 bucks a year?

webyepn

gone yeepn
Unless I have missed my mark I suspect you will be over weight. I believe that in 2005 your weight limits are for the duallys were rated to pull 21,000 GCVWR with 3.73 gears and 23,000 with 4.10 gears. We all know they will pull much much more........but that was what Chrysler rated them at. (underated them at I should say.....for their own liability reasons) I believe this is for the 2wd. 4wd's will be lower. Also, you need to keep in mind your Class D license is only good for 26,000 total. I suspect that your jeep and trailer will weigh around 6,000 lbs. Your fifth wheel trailer I should suspect would be 10,000 plus and may even be around 15,000. I don't know for sure just a guess.

I am with Mbryson on this and I have tandem towed myself. IF you make good decisions on your load, IF you get the fifth wheel frame supported, IF you can squeeze all the weight within the working limits of the truck and the trailer, IF you have properly working brakes on all axles, THEN yes, you can do this. Would I advise it..... not with your configuration. I am not saying you can't but, I would be very careful. If I was your insurance company and anything was even the slightest out of place you would be on your own.

LT.

I will definetly have to do some more research on the GCVW. What you added up between my fifth wheel and Jeep/trailer Sounds about right. So off of that 15,000 pounds do I also have to add on the weight of the truck or is the 21,000 what I can pull?

eddie d

i think dodge one ton is rated to pull 17500 u can reg ur truck for 24000 i think and gvw means all truck and trailer i pull to trailers my fifth wheel has the heavy I beam frame it feels the same with to as it dose with one just a little slower up the hill

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
How about if you forget about the jeep on a trailer, and put a tow bar on the front with some little tires for towing, be safer and easier to park than two trailers, especially in a campground

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
How about if you forget about the jeep on a trailer, and put a tow bar on the front with some little tires for towing, be safer and easier to park than two trailers, especially in a campground

I have flat towed my TJ behind my 36' 5th wheel toy hauler several times. Cannot even tell it is there.

LT.

I will definetly have to do some more research on the GCVW. What you added up between my fifth wheel and Jeep/trailer Sounds about right. So off of that 15,000 pounds do I also have to add on the weight of the truck or is the 21,000 what I can pull?

I don't really know for sure but, I can tell you that they way my 2010 mega cab dually is configured it is only rated to tow about 16,000 lbs total. What I have done to the truck cannot increase that amount but, I have my license so I can legally pull more weight. Dodge is not going to warranty anything on my rig while towing more weight but, I am legal to do so. I think my estimate of the 21,000 will be total weight the truck can handle. This is just a guess off of my rig and the weights.

Again, I don't think you can't do it. What I wonder is can you do it and stay legal. Dodge has always had a habit of underrating their vehicles. The truck is more than capable of doing what you want it to do. Just make sure you do it safely and legally and I don't think you will have any problems.

LT.

webyepn

gone yeepn
i think dodge one ton is rated to pull 17500 u can reg ur truck for 24000 i think and gvw means all truck and trailer i pull to trailers my fifth wheel has the heavy I beam frame it feels the same with to as it dose with one just a little slower up the hill

That is good to know. When I mounted my hitch on the fifth wheel I went for a test run with four Polaris 4x4 wheelers up provo canyon. I figured that would be close to the weight of a jeep without a top being's they are about 8 to 9 hundred pounds a piece. The only thing that made me a little un-easy was the tung weight. I had about two and a half four wheeler in front of the axles and it just felt like way to much tung weight.

But with a jeep I can edge it back on a trailer and make very little to no tung weight. I thought I would get the jeep and a scale and measure so that my tung weight was in the rang of 5 to 7 hundred pounds.

Have you seen any excessive ware on your trailer because of it?

webyepn

gone yeepn

I have flat towed my TJ behind my 36' 5th wheel toy hauler several times. Cannot even tell it is there.

This is another point that I wanted to bring up. If the worry is the excessive abuse it may put on the trailer what peoples opinion of flat towing would be?

I am glad to hear that this is a possibility as well. Any Ideas if flat towing still goes against your weight? To flat tow do you just put the T-case in neutral?

webyepn

gone yeepn
I don't really know for sure but, I can tell you that they way my 2010 mega cab dually is configured it is only rated to tow about 16,000 lbs total. What I have done to the truck cannot increase that amount but, I have my license so I can legally pull more weight. Dodge is not going to warranty anything on my rig while towing more weight but, I am legal to do so. I think my estimate of the 21,000 will be total weight the truck can handle. This is just a guess off of my rig and the weights.

Again, I don't think you can't do it. What I wonder is can you do it and stay legal. Dodge has always had a habit of underrating their vehicles. The truck is more than capable of doing what you want it to do. Just make sure you do it safely and legally and I don't think you will have any problems.

LT.

One thing that I wanted to do before I started to go anywere was go to a scale and weigh the whole package then weigh things indavidually and see what exactly everything weighs.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I used a equalizer hitch for my tandem trailer, and it made a huge difference.. just a thought for you.

LT.

One thing that I wanted to do before I started to go anywere was go to a scale and weigh the whole package then weigh things indavidually and see what exactly everything weighs.

If you go to a CAT certified scale I think they can give you the weights on all your axles with everything loaded and hooked up. This is an ideal way to figure out what moving the jeep up and back on the trailer would do to your axle weights. Also, I would highly recommend keeping your 5er dry. This would eliminate a lot of the weight you would have to haul. Dry tanks, no food, limit your camping supplies that kind of thing.

does anyone have any Ideas what a CJ weighs?

Do you think it is much more or less than 4 big atv's?

I have seen CJ's go from 2700 lbs to 4200 lbs. 2700 would be no top, no doors, no back seat, just as stripped as you can get. 4200 lbs would be with hard top, doors, all the seats, fuel in the tank, spare parts, tools, and people.

LT.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I've pulled tandom many times, biggest thing is to know for suryour gvw for all items. My fifth wheel gvw is 12800 and it's a 35' double slide. I can't remember what I found on the law but I know the big thing was gcvw and not length. My truck is a f350 dc dwr power stroke, and with my truck and trailer and the my 4wheeler trailer and 3 4wheelers I was still under weight pretty good. It pulled fine, other than it was hard to see the second trailer. Another thing it to make sure your brake controller will handle the number of braking axles you have. Some will only handle two axles, both my trailers have two braking axles so I need a controller that will handle 4 axles.

Behind a fifth wheel I don't have a problem with tandom towing, it's th guys who do it with two bumper pulls that scare me.

larrybenny

larrybenny
I would make sure you have all the available external cooling equip installed for your transmission if it is an automatic. Its even a strain on a manual 6 spd. to pull that much weight. The dodge will do it, but drive train life will suffer unless you use your gears properly. Also would make sure you have the proper tongue weight on the jeep trailer or it will wander all over, possibly being dangerous.