Purpose of a stinger

OX1

New here (first post), but I think this is why. Makes for cool photo ops :D.

DSC00490.JPG

DSC00491.JPG

allterrain

AllTerrain
Cool.
That same thing happened to me once in The Chute on the Hole In The Rock trail.
After they grabbed the rear axle and I nosed out of it, it took a few more minutes to remeove the seat cover...

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
my old cruiser had a small one, it was useless cept for running into the back of my buddies rigs once in a while.

my nylint rock crawler had one on it and it prevented roll overs :D

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
poorboyzdreamz said:
how the hell did that happen there nothing around.
My guess is he was too wide to fit his rear tires between the tree's so they wedged and climbed them till he touched the nose down with the stinger. Ive done that on atv's before

rondo

rondo
From the examples, i've seen:

saved *** rig from a rollover, ramped over obstacles, saved the radiator, etc etc, yet some of you still bash it. :rolleyes:

These seem like good reasons to me to have one. Do they allow the rig to rollover or prevent it? Depends on the situation i guess but it's rediculous to say they 'cause' rollovers.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
rondo said:
it's rediculous to say they 'cause' rollovers.
No it isn't. I've seen a stinger 'cause' a rollover. A rig with a stinger drove down a very steep obstacle. THe stinger hit the ground, and the rig flipped forward onto the roof. The driver could not drive out of the roll because the stinger dug into the ground. The next rig without a stinger drove down the exact same obstacle, but without a stinger to dig into the ground, the driver simply hit the gas a bit and drove down. The stinger was the direct cause of the rollover. I've seen them get in the way soooo many times. Just look at the comps. There are nery few comp rigs running stingers.

ZUK

I could see where a poorly thought out stinger could cause a frontal roll-over.....but I also see where a well thought out one can serve its purposes well.

poorboyzdreamz

poorboyzdreamz
RockMonkey said:
No it isn't. I've seen a stinger 'cause' a rollover. A rig with a stinger drove down a very steep obstacle. THe stinger hit the ground, and the rig flipped forward onto the roof. The driver could not drive out of the roll because the stinger dug into the ground. The next rig without a stinger drove down the exact same obstacle, but without a stinger to dig into the ground, the driver simply hit the gas a bit and drove down. The stinger was the direct cause of the rollover. I've seen them get in the way soooo many times. Just look at the comps. There are nery few comp rigs running stingers.
Ok but that doesnt mean that the stinger made it roll. was there not another line,was it sticking 40' out in front or were they just going to fast on the decent? true had it not been there it wouldnt have hit the ground.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
uh, given that example, yes, it does in fact mean that the stinger made the truck roll.

IF you want to split hairs, gravity is that actual cause, but that's cutting it a little fine I think.

rondo

rondo
Okay, so in situation 'x', somebody saw where the stinger actually caused the rig to roll. No disputing it.

And in situation 'y', somebody said the stinger saved the rig from rolling. No disputing that either.

A guy can't say the stinger always causes rigs to roll. Or vice versa. That would be like saying an automatic transmission causes a rig to roll, so you're better off without it. Who's ever been on something steep, nasty, etc and when the rig got tippy, slammed in the clutch and it backed right off safely. With an auto it's not that easy. I have 2 wheelin' rigs and one is auto, one is 5speed. I know what's up. On that hand some prefer wheeling with an auto, even though there is some adverse handling that might be associated with it in a 'x' situation.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Rick B said:
The original reason for them was to catch your vehicle and keep it from falling into a crevass in the ice. Only useful in places like Greenland & far north Canada where you might be driving across a glacier and actually have the possibility of falling into a hidden crevass. I have no clue why anyone would want one just for looks, and I can't think of any functional reason to have one in this part of the world.

I used to really enjoy the rigs out there, so i'd look for videos, pics and so on... alot of the ones that i noticed were actually removable with thick pins. So, even the Greenlanders think they look like hell... so much so, that they only use them out in the middle of a glacier field where nobody can see it... then, when back in town, or probably the second they get off the ice, they remove it.

:greg:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i am kind of fond of this one. more as a swing down tire carrier than a stinger. but i can see it preventing you from hanging up on the spare tire on a steep departure.

Attachments

• Imgf0001.jpg
    Imgf0001.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
rondo said:
Who's ever been on something steep, nasty, etc and when the rig got tippy, slammed in the clutch and it backed right off safely. With an auto it's not that easy. I have 2 wheelin' rigs and one is auto, one is 5speed. I know what's up. On that hand some prefer wheeling with an auto, even though there is some adverse handling that might be associated with it in a 'x' situation.

I'll have to disagree with that one....I guarantee you I can hit reverse with my auto far faster than you can with your manual tranny. While there are some times neutral may have allowed me to back off from something dangerous, there have been far more times I would have still gone over backward if I hadn't gotten to reverse. I modified my Art Carr shifter (removed one gate) to allow me to slam it into reverse instantly. :)

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
EKSJAE said:
i am kind of fond of this one. more as a swing down tire carrier than a stinger. but i can see it preventing you from hanging up on the spare tire on a steep departure.

ive been thinking about building one of these for mine, you might hit on it once in a while. but if you are going to have your spare hanging out there anyway your probably more likely to slide off the stinger than off a grippy spare tire.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I Lean said:
I'll have to disagree with that one....I guarantee you I can hit reverse with my auto far faster than you can with your manual tranny. While there are some times neutral may have allowed me to back off from something dangerous, there have been far more times I would have still gone over backward if I hadn't gotten to reverse. I modified my Art Carr shifter (removed one gate) to allow me to slam it into reverse instantly. :)

I have saved a roll over by hitting reverse and the gas with my auto a couple of times, but once I panickd jammed reverse and punched it, and reverse was the wrong torque direction I needed to save it,stupid me ended up making it worse causeing me to roll my ZJ over two rolls instead of likely just onto the roof.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
rockreligious said:
ive been thinking about building one of these for mine, you might hit on it once in a while. but if you are going to have your spare hanging out there anyway your probably more likely to slide off the stinger than off a grippy spare tire.

i agree that it can be benefitial to have something under your spare tire to slide over a rock that might otherwise grab your tire, and possibly wreck your carrier/mount... but let's be honest, the size, or length of the pictured rear 'stinger' serves no real purpose. if it's some tube underneath the tire your looking for to keep the rocks away, then that's one thing... i call it practicle... then there's the one in the picture... maybe you could put a boom and a winch on it, to pick up other rigs or something.... :sick:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
rockreligious said:
how bout this.

yeah, i'm down with that... or, the rear 'stinger' in that other picture only scaled down to about the middle of the wheel; i think would be ok looking... i'm just not a fan of the super tall one... no purpose..