Putting a new deck on a trailer?

Bart

I beleive he is referring to true 2" x xxx" rather than milled to 1.5" x xxx"

I've got a pile of freshly oiled (shingle oil) 2x8's sitting on the garage floor waiting to go back into my trailer, all I need to do is hurry and clean up the trailer a bit and rattle can it (its pained I just want to give it an additional coat). I looked at doing some synthetic stuff, but cost, weight (they are heavy) and strength (they sag across long spans, even without much load. Another option we tried to track down was laminated scaffold plank material, super strong, super durable... and super expensive... redwood it is.

Yeah, you take good care of that trailer. BTW, that silver is Hammerite in case you were wondering.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
BFTD

I just bought pressure treated wood. The guy said it is already treated and does not need to be sealed with anything for at least a year. True? Should I slap it on and call it good for a year or so before worrying about sealing it again? If not, what do I seal it with? Linseed oil? I want this deck to last a long time.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
BFTD

I just bought pressure treated wood. The guy said it is already treated and does not need to be sealed with anything for at least a year. True? Should I slap it on and call it good for a year or so before worrying about sealing it again? If not, what do I seal it with? Linseed oil? I want this deck to last a long time.

So, how much for a bunchload of pressure treated decking material?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
So, how to attach the deck to the trailer? I've already completely stripped the old deck. It only took about 90 minutes, thanks to it already partially removing itself. :ugh: As I disassembled it I found that the old wood was mostly attached to the trailer with self drilling screws. There were a few carriage bolts tossed in too. I think the carriage bolts may have been added by the previous owner, not the manufacturer. So how should I attach the new deck? Bolts? Self drilling screws? Other?

Bart

Yes, on treating the deck, as you've already decided to do. I bought my new gooseneck last December and let it sit over the winter. What a mistake. The boards have already shrunk and started twisting. I've treated 3 times since, but the damage is done. For some reason the builder didn't srew the wood into every cross member. I bought a bunch of self tapping screws to try and save it from getting worse. I'm going to drill a hole in the wood to clear the threads, then do the self tappers.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
All the wood is treated, and has dried for 48ish hours. I sprayed it with the airless sprayer I bought to paint the garage. Got it done in a hurry. Every board top and bottom. Now I need to bolt them all back down. Any other input on hardware? The old deck seemed to have mostly pulled off the self-drilling screws. The carriage bolts seemed to be holding the deck down a lot more. What does everyone's trailer have? Any problems?