Quarter Elliptic Leafs

spiderman

Amish dude
What would you guys suggest in building quarter elliptic leaf packs? I still have the old stock sammi springs, (front and rear). I don't know whether to spend the time and effort to make some from those, or look at something else. For a samurai with 3/4 ton drivetrain, what would you guys suggest to use to build some springs? I know I want lots of leafs for the support. I was even thinking about using YJ springs to make me a set. These are just the premilinarys on the springs, I finally got up to this point. She's coming along!:D Just need some input.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Originally posted by Greg

I totally agree....

I mean...what exactly do you gain by doing a 1/4 elliptic....

what is the advantage over average every day leaf springs...

what is the advantage over coils?

you still have to make a link suspension and getting coils that are rated in HUNDREDS of different rates is a cinch.....getting 1/4 elliptic leaf packs built to specific tolerances is a PITA!!!

BAG IT!!:cool:

spiderman

Amish dude
I don't know, I have thought about the coil route. I do have a set of zj coils sitting in my garage. maybe I should just go coil. Hell, now you guys got me thinking! Stop it!:)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
the only advantage I ca think of for running quarters, is that they take up less space on a narrow axle housing. A coil mount takes about 6 inches, while a leaf may take as little as 2.

spiderman

Amish dude
But these are not narrow axles, so no problem there. '81 chev 3/4 ton, full width. (and no, I'm not going to run stock wheelbase. This weekend hopefully I can chop the back half of the sammi and start designing the links.
I think after some more research, I have decided coils. Man, this is going to take a lot of time and mula. Hope the wife doesn't find my bank statements!;)

grinch

inner city redneck
coils are as cheap as springs at the pick n pull..... if you want a softer but longer spring wich can be better for droop and flex try using a coil out of an arostar minivan..... These are cheap and ive seen them used on sevral flatties that would be comparable weight to a sammy with 3/4 tone drive traine