Question about Rattlesnake/Con

berrett

I am thinking about going out to check out the snakes next weekend, but have a couple quick questions. I did search but didn't find much info. I think we can find the parking area for RS, but from there how do you get to the start of the trail (i pretty much just take a left at the first fork and stay in the wash)? If we can't make it up Waynes World is there another way around it? If we want to head back to the trail head is there a road, or do you just go back down the trail? how do you get to the con from WW? I will have my wagoneer (narrowed front clip, SOA, full widths, locked f/r, 36s) and have no fear of body damage, and my buddies xj (locked f/r, on 32s), neither of us have a winch so if we headed up the con till the last waterfall then turned around and came down would we piss people off, especially on labor day weekend? on average (not rock racing) how long to do these two trails? i ask about the con because it seams RS doesn't take to much time. anyways any info on these questions would be awesome, we also are kicking around the idea of little moab, but i haven't been on an actual trail for a long time. thanks for any clarification.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
RS pretty much ends at the big tailings. If you head up the trail a bit more you will come to a fork, head left. It starts to curve to the right and then forks again. The right way takes you down to WW, which is totally optional. You could go straight and miss it all together. The start of Con is just past the next bend, where you meet up with where WW comes out. It would be a tight fit to turn around and come back down if you have to go around people, but not bad. People do it all the time. Just remember, it is rated a 5, which means winches are a must. If you're not preped for that kind of trail you shouldn't be on it......MY OPINION.....that's what get people mad. I waited for 2 hours once for people to strap people up the Nest. If you don't have alot of traffic, both trails can be done pretty fast. With traffic, plan on all day. Hope this helps.
I might be up for snakes if you want more in your group. I have a winch.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The trailhead is at about mile marker 13.4 or something. There is a trailhead kiosk in the parking lot, and it kind of sneaks up on you if you come from the Lehi side.

Head into the hills. There will be a junction where you can go to the left and up a little hill, or go straight. GO LEFT. You will bend around to the right a little, and then you'll see the wash. There is a big rock up ahead, to the left. There you go. A little further, and there is a metal sign for Rattlesnake. Continue.

DO NOT STRAY FROM THE TRAIL!!! The trail follows the wash. Side routes are not on the trail, do not take them.

Going around Wayne's World is pointless, because you won't be able to get too far on Constrictor, and you definitely won't make the Eagle's Nest. It is single-track going, to boot, so yeah, you'd piss people off going down.

For educational purposes, just before WW, the trail forks. The left, high line takes you up to the top, going down and right takes you to WW. There's not much point in continuing up Constrictor w/out a winch or someone in your group that can be the anchor.

It takes maybe 2 hours to do the trails if you're hanging out having a good time. The tailings piles are neat, and the Jeep In The Hole is neat to see too.

:D Good luck to you! And if you stack, UNSTACK please. ;)

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Going around Wayne's World is pointless, because you won't be able to get too far on Constrictor, and you definitely won't make the Eagle's Nest. It is single-track going, to boot, so yeah, you'd piss people off going down.

I have to agree whole heartedly with Tacoma on this, Waynes World is a pretty good "gatekeeper" if you can't make it why be on a "5" trail, just to drive around obstacles?:confused: (you just drove a couple of hours to get to a decent obstacle. :greg::p)

You might be able to meet up with someone at WW that would/could strap you up eagles nest, but you had better find that new friend before you leave WW... :D

Good luck and have a good time.

berrett

Thanks for the info, i understand about the whole no winch stay off the trail thing. i plan on giving WW a good shot, but i was just wondering because i don't want to drive out there just for RS and be done in like and hour. i know i will not make it up the nest, but from what i have seen most of the rest looks doable for my rig (though probably not my buddies). are there any other little trails out there. anyways, thanks for the info.

del0075

i have done rattle snake and constrictor, in my 72 chevy short bed pick up, with 33 inch tires open both ends....i didnt however do ww or the nest, we turned around at the nest and came back down...done that 3 or 4 times...

berrett

i have done rattle snake and constrictor, in my 72 chevy short bed pick up, with 33 inch tires open both ends....i didnt however do ww or the nest, we turned around at the nest and came back down...done that 3 or 4 times...

that was kinda what i was thinking about doing (except i would try WW), i was just wondering about how mad people coming up constrictor would be with us driving back down. i really don't want to piss that many people off, especially on a holiday weekend

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
If it turns out to be a busy day and no one in your group has a winch, I'd say stay away. If it's quiet out there, go for it and turn around when you can't go any further.