Jeep question on rear 4link

honda069

jeepin0_1
I have everything to do a 4 link conversion in my cherokee except the axel parts, where would be the best place to get them, and the coil mounts on the unibody

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
You just need brackets & tabs? Hit up Summit Machine, BHR, Teraflex & others. Should have what you need to piece everything together.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What springs and shocks are you going to use? Coils, bags, air shocks, coilovers? Have you figured out the geometry and link mounting points yet?

honda069

jeepin0_1
I havnt decided yet, but im thinking of using tj rear coils, I havnt marked up the axle yet, I started drilling the holes in my unibody for the brackets that I bought from badger

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I havnt decided yet, but im thinking of using tj rear coils, I havnt marked up the axle yet, I started drilling the holes in my unibody for the brackets that I bought from badger

Ah, so your geometry is pretty much set since you'll be using Badger's old setup. How are you going to mount shocks? You'll need pretty long shocks to take advantage of the available travel in the suspension. If you're going to put them through the floor (and there's not a whole lot of other good options), you might as well beef up the mounts a bit and run air shocks or coilovers.

honda069

jeepin0_1
I wasnt planning on putting them through the floor but if I wont get some good travel without doing that then I will, what would you recomend doing I dont really have the money for coilovers right now, would it be worth it just doing springs, have you done the conversion yourself rockmonkey, I have never welded before so I would need to find someone that could weld for me

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Ballistic fab is the cheapest and best quality Links, brackets, ends, look them up.

Uhmmm, not in my case.
The 4-link brackets I got from them were so poorly made that they ended up going in the scrap bin.

Ended up building new ones from scratch. :-\

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I wasnt planning on putting them through the floor but if I wont get some good travel without doing that then I will, what would you recomend doing I dont really have the money for coilovers right now, would it be worth it just doing springs, have you done the conversion yourself rockmonkey, I have never welded before so I would need to find someone that could weld for me

Yes, here is a link to my build thread. It's, umm... lengthy...
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=47224

There's lots of pics of my rear 4-link. TJ coils would work (I'd probably use fronts, not rears), with regular shocks. You have tons of options on the shock placement. The only really good options are through the floor, though. You could angle them towards the center and get away with shorter shocks not through the floor but they won't work as shocks very well, and you'll have less sidehill stability. You could also make the thing really tall and mount long shocks mostly vertical without going through the floor, but tall doesn't work as well.

I imagine you want this rig to work well in rocks (why else would you do a rear 4-link on a Cherokee?), so you want to keep it low, stable, and terrain-compliant. If these are your goals (and they may not be), then putting the shocks through the floor is the easiest way to make it work.

honda069

jeepin0_1
I just found out that badger still has his coilover setup that he mounted in the rear hatch, I think thats what im going to do, any ideas on someone that could weld it all up for me