Question on Steering for the XJ owners

What have you done to your steering ? I have 6in of lift and my front end is always trying to get away from me. Ya i have short arms and it probbaly puts the caster off but what else. I replaced my trackbar with a HD rusty's version (very nice set-up) and that helped alot but i still get shimmy and alot of feedback in the wheel. What have you done to improve your steering system ?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
JeepTJ38 said:
What have you done to your steering ? I have 6in of lift and my front end is always trying to get away from me. Ya i have short arms and it probbaly puts the caster off but what else. I replaced my trackbar with a HD rusty's version (very nice set-up) and that helped alot but i still get shimmy and alot of feedback in the wheel. What have you done to improve your steering system ?

Mine's always been fine after it's aligned. Of course, with my history of tie rods, that is challenging also. I have short arms also. I'm using a 'Go-fer-it' tie rod from your neck of the woods.

mbryson

Supporting Member
CanadanXJ said:
Do you have a steering stabilizer?

Yep, but I'm not sure how effective it is. Even with a new one on, if my alignment is off, my Jeep handles poorly and I've even had 'death wobble'. All cured with an alignment and a check of the suspension bolts.

I have the stock steering stab but just from looking at the angle of it in relation to where the force is occuring i dont think it helps much. I wonder why they didn't do TJ steering on the XJ. Also who uses a droped pitman arm ? I ordered one and then didn't put it on cause my buddy said he didn't and very few kits actually come with one. O ya i have around 6 1/4 of lift if that helps, or just look in my sig.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
JeepTJ38 said:
I have the stock steering stab but just from looking at the angle of it in relation to where the force is occuring i dont think it helps much. I wonder why they didn't do TJ steering on the XJ. Also who uses a droped pitman arm ? I ordered one and then didn't put it on cause my buddy said he didn't and very few kits actually come with one. O ya i have around 6 1/4 of lift if that helps, or just look in my sig.
Definately use a dropped pitman arm. most kits don't come with them to save money.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
RockMonkey said:
Definately use a dropped pitman arm. most kits don't come with them to save money.

ditto on the drop pitman!! I am running around 6 inches of flexible lift on my CJ and had the same death wobble until I installed a drop pitman.

mbryson

Supporting Member
JeepTJ38 said:
................. I wonder why they didn't do TJ steering on the XJ..........................

I use TJ and XJ parts interchangeably (draglinks and tie rods). I don't run a drop Pitman for the record {nervous about the 'mount' for the steering box tearing off the "frame"}. The YJ arm is a great source and would probably correct my slight bumpsteer as I think it's a 1" drop and that's about what I'm off between the tracbar angle and the draglink

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Do a straight tie-rod conversion and move the track-bar on top of the axle in line with the drag link. I couldn't believe how much the steering improved on my xj when I went this route. The linkage was all bind free and would flow smoothly through out their intended radius' while articulating. :)

003.jpg

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
RockMonkey said:

i have 8" of lift on my jeep and I use the skyjacker arm, that drops about 2 inches, the only down fall is that it is realy expensive. my jeep handles pretty good exept for when the wind is blowing, even the slightest breeze will make my jeep try and go all over the place.

how hard was the conversion you did herzog?

JF1

Herzog said:
Do a straight tie-rod conversion and move the track-bar on top of the axle in line with the drag link. I couldn't believe how much the steering improved on my xj when I went this route. The linkage was all bind free and would flow smoothly through out their intended radius' while articulating. :)

003.jpg

Hey Herzog, do you happen to work at a Big-O tires in Layton? Thought I saw your rig out there.

XJEEPER

I'm running an over-the-knuckle Inverted-Y setup that I designed after the factory XJ steering, but using DOM tube and ES 150 TRE's. This setup requires you to ream the knuckle holes from the top to accomodate the larger TREs'. I'm running adjustable upper and lower CA's so I can dial in caster and wheelbase. I run a stabilizer cause XJ's came with them stock and it's wiggly without one. I also relocated the trackbar axle mount to make room for the steering and run a trackbar bracket brace/crossmember that conforms to the oilpan to reduce chassis flex.
The Jeepspeed racers found that this simple brace stopped the problem of tearing motor mounts due to extreme uni-frame flex during every race........an added bonus. Makes the steering feel tighter too........ I built mine but now RE sells them to bolt-on with their trackbar frame bracket.
My steering design was not a simple bolt on, but it works well and I've had not a hint of DW since I got everything dialed in. I've been running it for almost a year and am happy with the outcome. I'm at 6" of lift too.

The Currie HD steering setup would be a good option if you want bolt-on simple, but isn't designed to go much more than 6" of lift. It's beefy and $$......you've already crossed the line on your rig......drop it back to 5" and loose the 35's for 32's and life gets much more simple and less expensive.........nah, that'll never fly. ;)

There are several variations of the one Herzog posted, some work better than others. I found the inverted T to have more play that the stock setup, which is why I went back to the inverted Y design....... not saying that it's right.......just what I did.

The ZJ pitman will give you a 1" drop but adds stress to the uni-frame and longterm to the box bearings, so a steering box brace can help out here and if you really want to get serious, add some C-Rok or ORGS (now JKS) uni-frame strengthening plates to the steering box area.

Some XJer's have been successful in building a stronger setup using ZJ linkages which are beefier than the XJ stuff. With 35's and what appear to be 15x10 wheels with minimal BS, your steering can't me happy and I'm betting it's pretty sloppy too. Perhaps the boys at RockLogic can hook you up with a hydro-assist setup..........I keep forgeting the cheap part.

If you don't want to spend a bunch to make it better, then start scrounging junkyard parts and build you something .........I won't even discuss a D44.....you said you wanted to keep things cheap. :)

Last edited: