Question

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Does boring an engine make it weaker? I mean obviously it is going to make it more powerful, but does it make the engine as a whole weaker?

Just curious as to the answer, my friend and i were arguing about it earlier today ha ha

Thanks for input in advance.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Technically, yeah it does. In use though? Not really. Stay within manufacturer guidelines, and know that .050+ is cutting it close on a lot of factory engines, thanks to core shift. :D

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Well thats what we were arguing, but boring something like .030 over is like nothing, is it really THAT MUCH weaker, or is it still safe. Because according to the law, or so taraflex plus website reads, that when modifying a vehicle its aftermarket parts have to meet or exceed factory strength, or something like that.

1993yj

When you get your vehicle inspected they never ask if you have bored out your engine. I have done mine .030 over, but that is only due to a big puddle and being 18 and dumb.

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
Sounds like a big oops and a lot of water. Every time i hit a big puddle i think about sucking up some, and how my wife would react to me having to have major engine work :shawn:

1993yj

Sounds like a big oops and a lot of water. Every time i hit a big puddle i think about sucking up some, and how my wife would react to me having to have major engine work :shawn:

Yeah, my parents were not very happy, especially cause it was my dad's jeep at that point in time. I go through water SLOW now.

However, 10 years later and that engine is still strong, even being bored out and having a hole in the side of the block where a rod came out welded up.

Point being, I think boring out an engine is fine if you do it within certain parameters. Also, I really can't tell a difference in power either. I would only spend the coin to do it if you scorched the cylinder walls or something.