Questions for the Educators

mesha

By endurance we conquer
To address the initial question.
In the united states we are required to test ALL students. IEP, 504, no English language skills, they still test and are recorded on our test scores. Many countries do not test all students. they test the kids that are at good schools. Most countries do not have to deal with the same diversity in the classroom that the classrooms in the U.S. have. They are teaching for the most part students that speak the same language, come from good socio-economic standing, and realize that without a good education they will live in poverty their whole life. Education is free and available for all here in the United states. I love that about our country. Test scores as with all studies involving can be manipulated to say just about anything you want. We are doing better than the media lets on given the base we have to teach.

As to the voucher issue. You should check how these charter schools are testing. They don't test well, especially in math and science. Consistently , public schools outscore charter schools. There are exceptions of course. Most of the Charter schools that score really well have extremely difficult standards for the kids to keep. The students that don't perform academically or have behavior problems get kicked out. guess were those kids end up? Public schools. Interestingly enough these kids seem to be kicked out around the time the charter school no longer has to lose the money they received from the state for having that student attend that school. Smart move on the charter schools part, but regular public schools don't have that option. Public schools teach that student, don't get the funding from them and then have the test scores go on their record. I think that the notion that vouchers will fix education is hilarious. Suddenly, students will learn because vouchers are around, haha, wow.

I am all for competition I would love my pay to be based on performance. I would make a huge load of money! My students perform really well. It would just me more beneficial to have the competition be on a level playing field.

Throwing money at teachers won't directly lead to increased performance in the classroom You would, long term, pick up private sector individuals that could really help (like Steve). You can pay me less (I found out yesterday I am taking a pay cut) and I will still teach, I love it and not just the teaching aspect. I love the kids! The kids love me and success is the option in my classroom. It doesn't matter what the pay is, some teachers will be bad. Money in the education will immediately and directly influence performance in the classroom. I have 45 students per class in my classroom. More funding on a legislative level can make that smaller. Individual attention to students goes up with smaller class sizes, weird, that is a hard thing for some people to understand.

Some of you seem really pissed off at public education. I am sorry that you feel like you have been wronged. I wish I had you in my class, maybe you would feel differently. That being said, I make mistakes and I am sure students hate me. Thank goodness it is at least a little difficult to fire a teacher. I had a parent want my job just last week, because their daughter spilled some vinegar on herself.

Education is a personal thing and it causes some serious feelings both ways. Make sure you are educated about education and then vote for those that believe the way you do.

FWIW, if you look me up on Utah's right to know it shows me making about 15k more than I actually do haha. Also those people making so much money are holding advanced degrees.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Thanks Davy, I thought that there might be a twist in there somewhere. Do you know how long the world wide rankings have been going on? Who is in charge of them, the UN?

My only problem with public schools is I have to pay for them and I have no kids and people who do pay less of a percentage of their income due to deductions and they used much more of the public services... its whack yo. Parents should have to send their kids over to mow my lawn for free or something. :)

I have no problem with teachers, I think they're special individuals and really good teachers are really awesome.

I once heard of a plan to tax individuals a flat rate directly to the school system they came from as kids. This way the school system would have a direct interest in the student's future earning potential. The Fed would have to be more involved though so... yeah.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
My only problem with public schools is I have to pay for them and I have no kids and people who do pay less of a percentage of their income due to deductions and they used much more of the public services... its whack yo. Parents should have to send their kids over to mow my lawn for free or something. :)

Head tax. That way the families that are putting the most strain on the system are putting the most money back into it. It wouldn't happen here in a million-billion years, but I like the idea. That, or I could use a landscaping crew as well...;)

The idea of the flat-rate tax to the persons original school systems is an interesting one too. I can certainly see how that would give the schools an incentive.

Personally, I think the public school system did well for my family and I, and I hope for the same in the future. I have no idea if I am a statistic or not though.:)

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
School vouchers are the answer. That way the good schools boom and the bad ones bust. Too bad everyone here had a teacher in their ward that told them to vote against it.

Sounds like a great idea, everyone loves a run down abandoned school in their neighborhood. We'll shove all our money and children in the private school down the street and when that one fails we can shove the kids in the next one. Schools are cheap, JL is probably dying to put money into vouchers to send your kid to pay for a private education and pay for another building. I'm sure sending your kid to the private school across town isn't an issue, you can just get your driver "Jackson" to ferry young Winchester across town to hob nob with his peers. The charter schools in my area don't offer school buses, I'm sure with vouchers and pulling money from public schools it won't get better.

It's shocking the teachers are organized enough to put one in every ward and persuade everyone to vote against them, with organization like that they could probably do great things.

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Sounds like a great idea, everyone loves a run down abandoned school in their neighborhood. We'll shove all our money and children in the private school down the street and when that one fails we can shove the kids in the next one.

The problem is that public schools have already failed. The schools have to teach to the lowest level within the class in order to get children to pass, and get their funding. So when you have an undereducated child, or one that should have been held back, the rest of the class suffers. In the case of our wonderful Midvale Elementary schools (which my kids will not be attending) they have to spend so much time trying to teach English that the rest of the teaching suffers. They have to hold separate meetings when parents are involved, one in English, the other in Spanish. The school sign out front is written in Spanish on one side and English on the other. This is not going to grant a good education at all.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Competition unhindered in the private sector ALWAYS produces a better result than government. The actual process of vouchers may need some tweeking to get it perfect but it would be better than letting bad teachers keep making more money.
Mesha, I have both good and bad feelings about public education. I had a bad experience in high school but I will always remember my two favorite teachers.
My kids go to Manilla elementary and that school has been really good. I have never had any issues with any of my kids teachers.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The problem is that public schools have already failed. The schools have to teach to the lowest level within the class in order to get children to pass, and get their funding. So when you have an undereducated child, or one that should have been held back, the rest of the class suffers. In the case of our wonderful Midvale Elementary schools (which my kids will not be attending) they have to spend so much time trying to teach English that the rest of the teaching suffers. They have to hold separate meetings when parents are involved, one in English, the other in Spanish. The school sign out front is written in Spanish on one side and English on the other. This is not going to grant a good education at all.

So is that a school issue or a community issue? Half your population doesn't speak English, What are you suggesting we do with them? They pay taxes also. Even with a voucher you still have a population where half the kids don't speak English, you still have to educate them. The voucher program is just a way for the almost wealthy to cross the barrier and move the kids elsewhere where they don't have to have contact with the lesser citizens. It only solves the issue for a small select group. If the flow over the border stopped the language issue would resolve itself in 10 years. The school cannot do anything about the flow over the border.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Competition unhindered in the private sector ALWAYS produces a better result than government. The actual process of vouchers may need some tweeking to get it perfect but it would be better than letting bad teachers keep making more money.
Mesha, I have both good and bad feelings about public education. I had a bad experience in high school but I will always remember my two favorite teachers.
My kids go to Manilla elementary and that school has been really good. I have never had any issues with any of my kids teachers.

Competition does exist in education. It may not exist in Manilla but I don't think vouchers would suddenly introduce an alternative. Maybe I'm different but when I was in high school I listened to what other students said about teachers. If they said a certain teacher was good or bad I would modify my options to match what I thought was best. You ever wonder if some of it is just circumstance? The advanced placement kids get a certain group of teachers, the teachers have students that want to learn they are able to present the material without disruption, everyone learns it and everybody is happy. The teachers that didn't get the smart kids might get lucky and get the average kids and if they aren't they wind up with kids that don't want to learn, the resource officer knows half the kids by name and is called in a few times to remove weapons from the classroom. You can blame the teacher all you want but sometimes you play the hand you're dealt.

I'm not going to lie my parents were both teachers. There is a reason dad said to get in the advanced classes, it's better to be the average kid in the advanced class than the smart kid in the normal class. My dad taught AP English, I think I got a C one quarter from him but English wasn't my thing. As an advanced teacher he wasn't afraid to fail kids. He had one mother in upset that her darling child was failing he was supposed to be a smart kid and in line for Valedictorian. After some discussion (yes he also was a former debate coach) it was determined that her darling child would continue to fail if he continued to not do the work. Mom taught Home Economics/family skills/whatever you want to call it now. Hearing stories from her I knew I never wanted to be in her class. My mom is the greatest woman I know but the class seemed to attract a certain student type I didn't want to be with. I would hear things in the hall on occasion about my mom getting after kids and then get home and find out they were throwing dough balls around the room or got in a flour fight with the girls on the next table. Because of the quality of students she was far more generous with grades than my dad would have been, she mentioned a few times she had an advanced girl in and they would have 150% score at the end just because of all the extra credit she offered to bring up the low end of the class.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Spork, I never mentioned a position on vouchers, I did mention the folly of paying more for public services that I don't use, more of a "things that make you go hmmm" than anything. Back to what Roger said "accountability and respect", reproduce and be accountable.

My immigrant family started in the US with my Great Grand Parents who came over on the boat when they were a young (16) married couple and settled in Newark, NJ. Grt Grandpa dug graves for $1 and Grt Grandma worked as a maid even though she was legally blind. I never heard either speak Italian and my grandfather (born here) can't speak a word, my Grt Grandparents were accountable for their reproductive choices and made sure that their children were prepared for life here. No tax dollars required.

My single mom lived with her two boys in a demilitarized zone of Newark, NJ. She worked full time, went to school after that, then came home to do her homework. She'd often sit in the kitchen and cry from the stress of it all (she was only in her 20's). We had no TV, no toys, I couldn't go outside to play for fear of getting killed in gang crossfire, yet I still went to private school (St. Casimir Academy) because my mom didn't want me to have to go to school with the animals running around the neighborhood.
Education is expensive, kids are expensive and unfortunately, preparing your children for success is more important than a new car, DSL or that Xfinity deluxe package... my mom taught me that.

Was my family something special or did they just have a sense of accountability and respect? Too poor? How about canceling cable and getting a 2nd job (or a first)?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
The voucher program is just a way for the almost wealthy to cross the barrier and move the kids elsewhere where they don't have to have contact with the lesser citizens.

The voucher program is a way for the people to have a say on where their tax dollars go.
If "almost wealthy" people can give their child a better education resulting in high paying jobs, or becoming better citizens what is the problem? I can't change the demographics of where I live. I can't change that others don't care for their children, don't speak English, and have continual gang fights right outside my home (which is a block from the jr high, and one of the privileges of being "almost wealthy" to live in such a great neighborhood). My children will have a better education, voucher or not, But if I can allocate some of my tax dollars to do what they should then all the better.

Education is expensive, kids are expensive and unfortunately, preparing your children for success is more important than a new car, DSL or that Xfinity deluxe package... my mom taught me that.

Was my family something special or did they just have a sense of accountability and respect? Too poor? How about canceling cable and getting a 2nd job (or a first)?

As part of our "almost wealthy" living, we also do not have a TV, xbox, etc. Our newest vehicle is an '02 hyundai with 200k miles. We got internet at home, so that I could work from home to help raise my family.
My children have a very special life, and have many very fun and exciting learning opportunities. But it comes at a cost.

So spork, what should I do? Get cable tv, and title loans on our vehicles, which would put is into enough debt and monthly costs that we could take out from government assistance programs, send my children to the local Elm school so they can lean a second language, and be excited that they can almost pass through life?
Maybe that way my children can grow up to be outstanding persons. They most likely will even have learned all the ways to cheat at life and have a full time career of getting government handouts. Even better is I won't have to be responsible for the outcome because I can say I did it the way I was supposed to.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
We had to learn Latin and Polish in school... neither has served me very well in life.

jeeper - unfortunately, there will be people who won't "get" what you just posted and will be convinced that your children will have no chance to grow up well-adjusted.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
The voucher program is a way for the people to have a say on where their tax dollars go.
If "almost wealthy" people can give their child a better education resulting in high paying jobs, or becoming better citizens what is the problem? I can't change the demographics of where I live. I can't change that others don't care for their children, don't speak English, and have continual gang fights right outside my home (which is a block from the jr high, and one of the privileges of being "almost wealthy" to live in such a great neighborhood). My children will have a better education, voucher or not, But if I can allocate some of my tax dollars to do what they should then all the better.

As part of our "almost wealthy" living, we also do not have a TV, xbox, etc. Our newest vehicle is an '02 hyundai with 200k miles. We got internet at home, so that I could work from home to help raise my family.
My children have a very special life, and have many very fun and exciting learning opportunities. But it comes at a cost.

So spork, what should I do? Get cable tv, and title loans on our vehicles, which would put is into enough debt and monthly costs that we could take out from government assistance programs, send my children to the local Elm school so they can lean a second language, and be excited that they can almost pass through life?
Maybe that way my children can grow up to be outstanding persons. They most likely will even have learned all the ways to cheat at life and have a full time career of getting government handouts. Even better is I won't have to be responsible for the outcome because I can say I did it the way I was supposed to.

Just a thought if you don't like the elementary school your child goes to why do you send them there? I know of a few parents that send their kids to different schools than what is assigned. One of my co-workers kids is supposed to go to Bountiful and he goes to Viewmont. There are no vouchers needed, the only requirement is the parent makes sure they get there. I believe it was even because the kid would rather play sports for the other school not anything education related. Most times you are restricted to within the same school district but you do have options.

Here's the Variance form for Davis school district, I'm sure granite or any of the others will be similar.

http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/21381016...Forms/StandardOpenEnrollmentApplication...pdf

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I guess it is because of the way I led my life but here are some things to consider.
1. We are all different. 2. We learn at different rates. 3. We have different goals or ambitions. 4. Our formative years are all different.
Therefore, we as a group can never be tested at any one point in life and say this is good or bad.

For instance I did not like school so I did the least work possible in classes that had anywhere from 45 to 60 students in a class through High School. I took what were called non-college prep classes like auto, wood, metal, and electrical shop. In the Navy I went to Electronics School which was 42 weeks and wished I had learned more math. In college I made A's and B's because I took classes I wanted to take. I never got a degree because I was lazy and did well without it.

The bottom line: Teachers should only be paid by the state for teaching reading, writing, history, government and arithmetic. All other subjects like art, music, and athletics should be paid by the parents. Discipline should be a tool teachers can use. If students do not want to learn they should be put to work doing community service until they and their parents learn better.

Teachers, no matter how good they are, can teach students unless the student (backed by parents) wants to learn.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Vouchers introduce choice. I will always vote for my right to choose instead of the government making my choice. I'm not sure how a voucher that takes the money my school receives from the state for my child and gives it to me to give to my school of choice costs JL more?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Vouchers introduce choice. I will always vote for my right to choose instead of the government making my choice. I'm not sure how a voucher that takes the money my school receives from the state for my child and gives it to me to give to my school of choice costs JL more?

Welcome to the government. We'll need a whole new department to manage vouchers, oversee management and track for fraud. Changing procedures for a half million kids isn't free.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I was speaking of government sevices in general. I pay more because I don't get per child deductions which means I generally pay more for services families use and I don't have a family... just pointing out the irony in that.