Quick Removable Jeep Windshield

1993yj

Looking at options to make my windshield on my YJ quickly removable. Still want to have it for trailering with the soft top up, etc. but want a quick way to pull it for running trails. Have heard of people drilling out the hinge pins and replacing with a 7/16" bolt. Leaning this direction but wanted to see if anyone had feedback about going this route or a better idea.

Bart

Had a friend do that to his CJ but used some of the pins with a push button release for the hinges. He could remove it in under a minute. Thinking about doing it myself one day.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Way back there was an after market hinge with removable pin on the market, so yes the concept works. I would highly suggest making a pin out of stainless steel. The ones I've dealt with in the past were very hard to remove due to rust. I think stainless, and some anti-seize might cure that.

1993yj

I just ordered some 7/16 pins today. Once they get here I will attempt to drive out the current pins (or sooner if I get a chance)

amp713

Ive yet to unbolt my cage from the windshield frame.... Maybe i should make sure those bolts are rusted in there before i get ahead of myself hahaha

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
320395_4196029830704_527888498_n.jpg

i just used some gate pins. got them from ace, spent like $5. also got rid of the torx head bolt and used a regular hex head bolt and it held just fine. even with bajaing and jumping and such the windshield never cracked.

Last edited:

cheepin

I did this on my CJ. Just cut the stock pins at the 2 seams. Then flapper wheel the ends to get rid of the weld. Knock out the pieces. I just used a bolt to hold them together afterwards.

1993yj

Quick update, or really there isn't an update. I have yet to get the pins out. After soaking for weeks with PB Blaster I couldn't get them to budge. So I figured I would drill them. After flattening 2 center punches, I have yet to make a dent in those pins with my 7/16 cobalt drill bits with pilot tips. I even tried starting a pilot hole with a smaller bit and got nowhere. I figure at this point I am left with using a torch to heat up the brackets hopefully enough that I can then pound the pins out. I know it will trash the paint but I can fix that later. 20 years of hardened pins pressed in are a major pain. Any other suggestions?

Taking the brackets completely off the body is not an option as the nuts on the backside under the dash will just spin and I cant get a wrench back there to hold them without first removing the cage and then the dash.

1993yj

Doesn't look like there are any welds on mine. I have read that TJs have them, but many YJs don't.

Air chisel would be worth a shot if I had one.

1993yj

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Finally finished this today. Used a torch with some mapp gas and was able to pound the pins out. First I pounded them inwards to break them loose, and then from the center of the jeep all the way out. Ran a 7/16 drill bit through after to clean out the rust. After I touched up the brackets with paint, I lightly greased the pins so they won't rust in. Only took about 3 min of heating per side. Total time was less than 30 min. Should've just used the torch to begin with.

Last edited:

amp713

Its on my list to get done and now i feel better! My jeep actually was pretty rust free so im hoping maybe it will go smoothly right off the get go! I need to find me some pins though! Did you go 7/16 pin also?? Is it a super tight fit getting them in and out now?