Quickest way to get to the Golden Crack

DerekM

formerly dirk124
For those who have done it, is it really an 11 hour ride to get to the big crack?? Is there a faster way to the crack than going through poison spider?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Rusty Nail can be pretty difficult, but maybe not as much anymore. It's been a while but I know the gate keeper now has a bypass.
The other way would be to go backward through Gold Bar Rim. The Golden Crack really isn't that far pas the end of that trail (Gold Bar Rim is the final section of the full Golden Spike route).

Golden Bar Rim trail map

'03_RUBI

Last time I was on rusty nail we ended up tearing a 9" apart in the middle of riff raff so we could get it back off the obstical and drive it out in front wheel drive. That is a pretty brutal obstical.

I'd say Gold Bar is slightly harder than the rest of the spike, not much though. Seriously, someone estimated 11 hours??? Maybe behind an official Jeep Safari group.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
I've done gold bar and it wasn't bad I'm just kinda concerned about rusty nail. It looks pretty tough but I guess we will try it out tomorrow!

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
We usually do Triple Threat in 9 hours or less. One time we had a stock 2dr JK with us too.

Rusty Nail is pretty crazy by comparison

DerekM

formerly dirk124
Our only goal is to get to the crack and do the round trip in 4-5 hours if possible. So it sounds like rusty nail is shortest or gold bar rim

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've done gold bar and it wasn't bad I'm just kinda concerned about rusty nail. It looks pretty tough but I guess we will try it out tomorrow!

The second obstacle will probably be your nemesis... but there are points to winch if needed. One line is up the wall which used to be actually more possible when there was dirt still there. The other is straddling the rocks on the right side and turning upward once you are at the top. There have been quite a few flops there so don't ruin your day and take a winch if you are uncomfortable.

No Left Turn looks a lot scarier than it is. It's actually a cakewalk, just go slow and follow the existing lines/tracks. The end of that one as you drop down will just flex you out a bit as you steer to keep away from the wall.

The rest is just close to the cliff so it can be unnerving if you haven't done it before. Use good judgement putt along.

littlyota

I did rusty nail several years ago and I will never go back. Be careful. I don't hear of much carnage from that trail, but it was just to off camber on the cliff edge for me.

My friends from Vegas love it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Gold Bar is super easy. "Slide Hill" is the only big obstacle.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Chevycrew

There is one spot on gold bar that's pretty big now, about a 5' ledge.

We ran the triple threat in 5.5 hours last week.

Toad

Dang 11 hours! Tell them to put the camera down and do some wheeling. 6 hours to do triple threat is not that hard to do. I think the key is a small group and well prepared rigs.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Dang 11 hours! Tell them to put the camera down and do some wheeling. 6 hours to do triple threat is not that hard to do. I think the key is a small group and well prepared rigs.

Just curious about the whole Triple Threat name (I've heard it called the "Trifecta" as well)...... Where the hell did that come from? It used to be called "Golden Spike". You run the bulk of Poison Spider-Golden Spike-and about half of Gold Bar Rim for it to be Golden Spike? If you ran all of Poison Spider, Golden Spike, then all of Gold Bar, I get that being called something "triple" or whatever. Just curious. Not trying to be an ass (although I likely sound like one?)

Chevycrew

Im not sure where I heard it, We ran all of ps, gs, gbr to complete the 3. I didnt know you could opt out of any of it.