Quiet Offroad Tires

flexyfool

GDW
Does anyone know of 37-12.50R15 AT's (or very quiet MT's) that are still being made? It seems that this size is only being offered in a few aggressive MT's.

How about for 17" rims? Anything with mild tread that you have experience with? Don't really want to buy new rims, but I'm tired of listening to the sound of my MT's overpowering everything else on my old Bronco with soft top and doors.

flexyfool

GDW
Yeah. Kind of. But, that is the info I'm looking for. The rig has inherited 37-12.50R15 2nd gen MT/R's and 38.5-14.50/15 SX's. Neither work very well on pavement so I'm searching for a milder set. Options I'm considering are BFG AT, Toyo AT, Procomp Extreme AT on 17" rims, and Swamper TRX STS on 15".

Chevycrew

I have pro comp extreme mud terrains on my crew cab. I don't notice the tire noise.

They wear like iron, and I tore some lugs off. Too hard of compound for offroad IMO

Thatredjeep

i have a friend that runs the toyo's and he says they arent very loud. I run the BFG's on my jeep and the are noticable. but arent bad. considering the noise a jeep makes

STAG

On my grind
My Toyo Open Country AT2's were waaay quieter than my BFG KM2's. And although my KM2's never let me down offroad, my driving style on my duramax was 90% on-road and 10% offroad, and the AT2 was a much better tire for me. The AT2 was still a very awesome tire on and offroad. My favorite all terrain to date.

For my H3 which has been like 65% on road and 35% offroad, I'm in love with my Goodyear MTR-K's. They were a lot quieter when they were brand new though. Now that they have 5k miles on them they do have some noise, but not bad. And now that I have another truck as a daily driver, I expect my 65/35 ratio to probably swap to 35% on road use and 65% offroad use.

flexyfool

GDW
I like the look of Procomp Extreme ATs and expect them to be quiet and last a long time, but can't find a Procomp tire dealer in Boise. I may end up with the Toyo AT2s. Had a set of ATs before on the truck and liked them for a summer tire. I only got about 30K miles on them before they were down to the wear indicators. The Toyo website claims the AT2s are longer lasting.

sixstringsteve

I'm not a big fan of procomp tires. They always gave me poor wear and poor traction. I haven't tried their tires for a few years though, so something may have changed.

I really like duratracs, big o AT, and Yokohama geolanders.

DAA

I'm betting they are going to get pretty loud with more miles on them, but so far the Duratrac's on my half ton are pretty quiet. They aren't that aggressive either, not compared to an MT. Pretty knobby for an AT though.

- DAA

flexyfool

GDW
I like the look of Procomp Extreme ATs and expect them to be quiet and last a long time, but can't find a Procomp tire dealer in Boise. I may end up with the Toyo AT2s. Had a set of ATs before on the truck and liked them for a summer tire. I only got about 30K miles on them before they were down to the wear indicators. The Toyo website claims the AT2s are longer lasting.

I ended up buying 35-12.50R17 Toyo AT IIs. They are load range E with a 65,000 mile tread warranty. So far, they are quiet and track straight down the road.