Qwest FIOS, anyone have it?

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
As part of my "Get rid of Comcast" plan. I am thinking about getting Qwest FIOS (Fiber Optic Online service) and I am wondering if anyone else here has it and how you like it? Right now the offer they sales rep for my area is giving me is better than Comcasts price and it is a price of life guarantee. I have read online that there are a lot of people happy with it but that has been with Verizon users.

Any input is appreciated.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
having worked in the fiber optic field for the past 12 yrs I would say its the only way to go... I'm hoping someday that someone will offer it here at my address....

Caleb

Qwest Fiber has been excellent in the past...but that was QMOE (Fiber for businesses). I'll be surprised if you find anyone with much experience with it since their Residential fiber offering is fairly new. Fiber would be sweet because the ability to scale is almost limitless.

Last edited:

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
That is what I am afraid of. The ink on the ad for my area is barely dry. I just dont want to be the guinea pig and hate it, then go crawling back to Comcast. They are the debil!

Caleb

I would do it if it was available. Right now, the residential fiber offerings are all spotty. They will get better but fiber to the home in Utah has a ways to go. Just do it and let us know how awesome it is :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I heard stupid Utopia is strapped for cash and decided to borrow more money instead of paying back the loans the promised to begin repaying. That being said I think all of the other legitimate businesses are scrambling to put the hurt on Utopia while they can and I appluad Qwest for bringing the pinnacle of technology to your home. If they ever get that stuff here I will drop my cable faster than you can say "It's Comcastic!"

I really doubt you are going to have problems with it, it is incredibly simple mechanically so go for it! I will jealously await the beams of light to reach my house!

Caleb

I heard stupid Utopia is strapped for cash and decided to borrow more money instead of paying back the loans the promised to begin repaying. That being said I think all of the other legitimate businesses are scrambling to put the hurt on Utopia while they can and I appluad Qwest for bringing the pinnacle of technology to your home. If they ever get that stuff here I will drop my cable faster than you can say "It's Comcastic!"

I really doubt you are going to have problems with it, it is incredibly simple mechanically so go for it! I will jealously await the beams of light to reach my house!
They haven't borrowed any extra money...in fact some of the cities that pledged money have pulled that money so they are operating on even less than originally planned.

Even though the Qwest fiber will likely be better than Utopia (atleast at first) I would still take Utopia over Qwest because Qwest has their heads so far up their asses it's ridiculous.

Utahcryogenics

Formerly "Beerman"
Caleb, in this day and age who doesnt? I cant remember the last time someone told me they were happy with the customer service they receive from "XYZ" company for cellular, internet, tv, etc. service.

I think they all suck, you just have to pick the one that sucks the least for you.:rofl:

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Have it...love it. 7mbps service. they called a day later and said 12 was available, but for me, making the switch from dial up, 7 is enough.

I have a wired connection from my router to PC and get about 5.0-5.5 download speeds when I speed check it. On my PS3 which is a wifi feed I get about 2.8-3.0 for speeds. Nothing lags, I've had it since the end of May. It is always on and ready to use.

Caleb

Have it...love it. 7mbps service. they called a day later and said 12 was available, but for me, making the switch from dial up, 7 is enough.

I have a wired connection from my router to PC and get about 5.0-5.5 download speeds when I speed check it. On my PS3 which is a wifi feed I get about 2.8-3.0 for speeds. Nothing lags, I've had it since the end of May. It is always on and ready to use.
I'd call and complain to tell you the truth...you should be seeing the full 7mb down...even on your PS3. Even if you were on 802.11B (which I highly doubt) you'd still be capable of 11mb...802.11G (which is what you should be on) you should be capable of 54mb...point being, any wireless technology in the home is capable of 7mb download speed.

I've moved off Qwest recently to a Wireless ISP. I've always been a huge critic of WISP but I must say, I am truly impressed. I usually see 10-13mb down and rarely do I see less than 2mb up, usually I'm at 3mb up. I also get a static IP and I don't have to use one of these companies crappy modems, I plug my IP info into my ASA, plug the ethernet cable from my dish right into my ASA and I'm up and running :D Oh yeah, It's cheaper than my 1.5mb Qwest line too :p

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Yeah I kind of thought so too. I'm running a WRT54G with the ddrt firmware. My IT guy says it should be the same wifi vs cabled. Qwest says the 5.0-5.5 speed is normal "7 is best case scenario". Also my PC is older than dirt, maybe it is the slow point.

As to the wifi...I don't know, really don't care at this point. No lag on games, quick blu-ray firmware updates...good enough for who its for and I think I can write the bill off as business expense.

Meat_

Banned
Your inability to get the same speed on your wifi that you get on your wired connection has NOTHING to do with your internet connection.

Qwest does not guarantee 7Mb.

An internet speed test can be affected by MANY things.....

Caleb

Your inability to get the same speed on your wifi that you get on your wired connection has NOTHING to do with your internet connection.

Qwest does not guarantee 7Mb.

An internet speed test can be affected by MANY things.....
Yeah, but on a fiber connection he should be seeing the full 7mb (or pretty dang close to it). Even if it's shared bandwidth like on comcast, he should still, at this point, be seeing much better than 5-5.5.

This is just like Qwest. You buy a 1.5mb line they give you 1.35mb. You buy a 1.5mb DSL line through anyone else (using the exact same lines mind you) and you get a 1.5mb line. I'm so glad to be rid of them :D

Meat_

Banned
Yes he should, but since they don't guarantee it, they will do nothing about it. But like I said, the missing 1.5Mb could easily be lost to a crappy speed test server and/or network overhead.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
having worked for AT&T in the fiber department for 10 yrs I have to agree you will not lose anything to the overhead... thats all in the part that AT&T or whomever keep for signaling and their communications.. mind you I was working with data passing at 10gbps (oc192) and such so it's kind of different then a 10 mbps....

Meat_

Banned
having worked for AT&T in the fiber department for 10 yrs I have to agree you will not lose anything to the overhead... thats all in the part that AT&T or whomever keep for signaling and their communications.. mind you I was working with data passing at 10gbps (oc192) and such so it's kind of different then a 10 mbps....

There is overhead for all data transmission, and the way the internet speed tests work, you loose speed do to the overhead. Don't believe me, read the test page.