Rafting in MOAB?

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
My 11 yr old nephew from FL is visiting me in July and he had two requests:

He wants to see the desert
He wants to go rafting

I've only gone to MOAB to drive on the trails so I've never gone rafting. Anyone have experience with any of the companies in town and could make a recommendation?

chans

My 11 yr old nephew from FL is visiting me in July and he had two requests:

He wants to see the desert
He wants to go rafting

I've only gone to MOAB to drive on the trails so I've never gone rafting. Anyone have experience with any of the companies in town and could make a recommendation?

What are you looking for? A day trip? The hard stuff like Cataract and West Water are too dangerous with the high water because they can't have the rescue boats on stand by. My brother worked as a guide for years and can recommend a company if you let me know what you are after.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'd recommend a call to Western River Adventures and their Moab Adventure Center. I've been on several floats with them, always top notch.

rholbrook

There is always the Green River at Flaming Gorge. You can fish for trout as well

We did a 2 day float trip a couple years ago. We beaded up the river from Moab and had a good time but it was over 100 degrees every day

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Uncle Joe always gets stuck in front of the raft because he's such a powerful dude and often is the only one paddling 'cause the old ladies never do and also ends up being the person said old ladies grab onto to prevent going into the water... I'm really not a fan.... especially in July.

That being said, the last time I went rafting was in Cody, WY back in 2007 with his older brother (he was 10). The guide encouraged him to sit up on the nose of the raft which then compelled me to hold onto his life vest when we hit rapids instead of paddling (still had to deal with scared old ladies grabbing me). So I don't want to do anything crazy because this isn't my kid and I have to return him undamaged and not drown.

A full day is OK I guess, but I don't need to deal with Class V rapids while trying to keep an eye on him... I don't care about me, I've lead a full life, I also don't want his first river experience to be terrifying for him either.

In my youth, I've rafted/canoed the Delaware Water Gap many times with family and scouts. The last time, my dad and brother got sucked into a hole and got held down and had to be rescued by the ranger who was patrolling the falls, neither one of them has ever gone on a river again since... I don't want my nephew scarred.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
The last time I went rafting, they asked if I wanted to row or not, and I wanted to. The old ladies and kiddos were in another lame boat that didn't have any fun.

Seven

There is always the Green River at Flaming Gorge. You can fish for trout as well

We did a 2 day float trip a couple years ago. We beaded up the river from Moab and had a good time but it was over 100 degrees every day

This would be my suggestion.

You can rent your own raft and do a 8 mile trip from the gorge to little hole by yourself. There is a couple of little rapids that are fun, however I think your worries about having kids on the raft would be minimal. If you base in vernal you can take the trip up the mountain and raft one day and then the next day take him out to fantasy canyon that is south of vernal. http://www.utahoutdooractivities.com/fantasycanyon.html

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I finally settled on Adrift Adventures because of half day and price with our 18 to 20 people. Also we do the north of Moab on the Colorado in August for calmer water for us old folks and the younger kids.

dumassaim

:cool: My neighbor basically lives in moab all summer doin rafting. He makes a living doing it and is a cool guy ill talk to him if i see him out today and see what he would do or recommend for you.