Ram 2500 automatic transmission

vicegrip

I need to know if any one knows how to put a temp gauge in my 06 Ram 2500 automatic transmission and were to get one.

Last edited:

1993yj

I did a mechanical one in my 03. Pretty simple. Just dropped the pan, drilled a hole in the side and welded a nut there for the sending unit to thread into. The hardest part was running the line without kinking it, and making sure that the sending unit wouldn't be touching anything inside the pan.

The pan may not be the best place to mount a gauge to get an accurate reading, but I couldn't find any other place that was doable.

vicegrip

I thank you for your reply1993yj. I’m not sure I would get an accurate temp reading I hope I can put one in the line to the cooler. What do you think about that?

I would think I could find one made for that application.

Hay thank again.

1993yj

That is where most people try to stick the sending unit so that they can get the highest temp reading. In my case, I couldn't find an easy way to stick it in that line, so I went with the pan.

tv_larsen

I had my trans temp sensor in the pan when I took my truck to my DTT builder for the whole DTT trans build. He moved the sensor from the pan to one of these.
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ACUTEMP_ADAPTER

His reason was that it takes too long to heat the fluid in the pan (especially since I had the double deep pan) and measuring the fluid temp in the hot cooler line warns you much quicker if the trans temps start to rise. You will however see slightly higher temps measuring the hot cooler line instead of the pan temp. I've seen that my gauge reacts very quick if I'm backing a heavy trailer up a grade so I believe it works very well.