Ram-assist or better steering box

kyojin

I am in need of better steering power off-road. I have a 97 Wrangler on 35's with the stock steering box. I've been looking at possibly getting a 98-99 Durango steering box. They are a direct bolt on and have a bigger bore and can turn tires a lot easier.

My other option is to go with a ram-assist from Rock Logic. 3 of my wheeling buddies all have this and it makes me really jealous. They use one hand while I'm wrestling and getting a workout with 2. This would be the better option I'm sure but I don't know if I can afford it quite yet.

Anyone done the steering box upgrade? I'm wondering how much of an improvement it will give me. People on different forums are saying with 35's and 37's with a TJ it is very good off-road.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
May I say One Word :cool: ROCKLOGIC :cool: I splurged for the ram assist setup and had my original 86 CJ7 sag box worked over. Now I too turn 37" Krawlers with one finger. just do it and don't look back! KENNETH !!

James K

NO, I'm always like this
how much is the durango box?you will still want ram assist

and how much is it to have RL do the mods to the existing box and buy there ram assist kit?

kyojin

I will probably end up going with RL's ram assist. Just need to save up for it.

I can get a new Durango power steering box for around $120.00. That price includes the refund for my core. I'm not sure how much RL charges to tap a steering box. Their ram-assist kit with the ram, hoses, tabs, bolts is $250.00. In the end I'm sure I'll be much happier with the ram-assist. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with upgrading the steering box with something bigger/stronger.

Meat_

Banned
Go get a Durango box from a junk yard, have RL drill and tap it (they will rebuild it for the price of the parts while they are at it) run that until you can swing the ram. I'm not going to give out prices for them... it will cost more, but not a lot more than buying a rebuilt Durango box.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
better yet, bust out the manuals and a thinking cap, tap it yourself. It's messy and unpleasant though.

That RL ram kit has got to be the best deal going in hydraulics today.

wildkid

...Jeepless...
I had the same problem. I had RL go through my stock box. They found that all parts were fine so no rebuild. I purchased the ram, tabs and hoses for their listed price and installed the kit myself. I went with a 6" ram to use in my application (stock D30) and used the ram where the stock steering stabilizer was located. I, however, rebuilt the attachment point on the axle to strengthen that location, built a stronger tie-rod (1.25" DOM) with heim ends to attach to the stock draglink and had hickey weld the tabs to the draglink.
In the end, 6" is a little long for the travel of the D30, but I've installed stops to keep the ram from popping the balljoints out. 5.5" would have been ideal (should have listened to Von in the beginning :) ).
Turning the 35s is ever so easy, even lifted the jeep of its side while jammed against a rock wall...very nice.
Steering is a little slower, not too much to worry about. Kinda like running two stabilizers.
So, my vote is go to RL :D

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
wildkid said:
Steering is a little slower, not too much to worry about. Kinda like running two stabilizers.

Have you modified your pump for more flow? You may be able to get all the speed back, and retain the extra power you currently have. :)

R

rockdog

Ram assist was one of the best mods I've made to my rig. Do it you'll wonder how you ever got along without it! :D

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
i have seen the kit. its b*tchin'

i can turn my 37's right now with one hand, sure i have huge stock LC/bus driver wheel, but hey.

i hear locking the front end makes it tough?

wildkid

...Jeepless...
I Lean said:
Have you modified your pump for more flow? You may be able to get all the speed back, and retain the extra power you currently have. :)

No, not yet. Will get to it after I take care of some other things first :cool:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
fullsizeyota said:
i hear locking the front end makes it tough?

My good pal Tom used an RL ram on his 46" tired, Detroit'ed Rockwells.. before the ram, in 4wd, it was nearly impossible to turn the wheel.. no trouble after the install. That right there sold me on rams...

kyojin

I am already sold on the benefits of the ram-assist. I've just been reading some posts on other forums where TJ/YJ people have been upgrading their steering box to one from a Dakota/Durango. They say it is much stronger and turns their 35"+ tires no problem off road. I'm looking for a cheaper alternative until I can save up for the ram kit. I can get a new Durango Box for around $120.00 which isn't too bad. If the Durango box works well enough then I might not "need" the ram-assist. Of course I'd still want it :greg: Was hoping someone on here had done the swap and could tell me how it worked for them.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Tacoma said:
Does the cheap and widely-available, easy-to-port Saginaw box not fit TJ's???

Depending on the year of the TJ, they already have it. In 2003-ish, they switched to a weird Mercedes steering box. Either way, the stock steering box can be used with hydraulic assist.

fullsizeyota

I fart sometimes
are my dana 44 ball joints gonna like this hydro gizmo?? i dont need this right now, as i am not locked, but i would seriously consider this down the road.

i have RL hi-steer arms/DL/TR so i know thats stout, but i dont wanna thrash knuckles or ball joints

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I Lean said:
Depending on the year of the TJ, they already have it. In 2003-ish, they switched to a weird Mercedes steering box. Either way, the stock steering box can be used with hydraulic assist.

Hmmm interesting. I know nothing about those cute widdle Jeeps... hahahaha

why not just port/rebuild a TJ Saginaw then? They hold up fine to assist and are easy to deal with as a bonus. There's a couple places you can tap them too, which is nice.