Ram assist

baerpaws

I'm having trouble with my steering. I have a new pump, cooler, and I even put a filter on it. I have jacked it up and went stop to stop so I'm sure I got all the air out of it. it is like I have no ram on it.

Could the ram have gone bad?
Box gone bad?

It is gm 350 with big pump(1 ton pump)
box it all redneck ram stuff

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I'd guess the ram is bad (probably just the piston seal) Cap off the lines at the steering box, and see how it is with "normal" power steering. That will tell you if the ram is the culprit or not.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
where do I get seal or where could I take it?

Either Call West Texas Offroad (the Redneck Ram people) and see if they have a seal set to sell, or locally you could take it to Hydraulic Controls and have them do it.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
test it first. If it is bypassing internaly, you can try this:

Remove the rod end of the cylinder so it is not attached to anything. Then send it out so it is at full extension. Once that is done, remove the rod end hose then try to extend the rod more, by continuing to turn the steering wheel in that same direction. (You may find it nessicary to remove both lines and plug them so you can turn the steering wheel all the way in the oppisite direction then hook everything back up. Do this so you still have plenty of turn left in the gearbox.) If fluid runs out of the open port you know your seals are bypassing and need to be replaced. If you get a few drops or a very small dribble, that is normal and the seals are okay. If you find that the seals are okay, you need to start looking at your gearbox as it could be bypassing.