Ramps for my mid sized trailer

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I am tired of using narrow ramps to load my UTV on my trailer and want to build a hinged ramp gate. It would be 6' wide and 48-51 " long. I tend to way over design these type of things and I don't want the ramp to weigh a ton. The UTV is around 1700 lb and the ramp would only have to hold up half of that at any time. Any thought on what size of tubing to use for the ramp ?

STAG

On my grind
I am tired of using narrow ramps to load my UTV on my trailer and want to build a hinged ramp gate. It would be 6' wide and 48-51 " long. I tend to way over design these type of things and I don't want the ramp to weigh a ton. The UTV is around 1700 lb and the ramp would only have to hold up half of that at any time. Any thought on what size of tubing to use for the ramp ?
1”x2”x.090” rectangle, with an extra piece on both sides right where the tires go. For extra lightweightedness I’d absolutely add some hinge springs.

My dad’s trailer ramp gate is even lighter than that, just a couple pieces of 2” angle iron. It’s very light and easy to pick up, but he didn’t have a good support right where the wheels go and the last time he took his SXS out, it dented/ripped the expanded steel sheet really deep, we’re gonnna have to replace that piece.