Random dumb question about being in a state...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Just a quick question, If you were say--collecting refrigerator magnets for all the states and/or countries you've been to would you include states where you've only been to one of their airports? ie; I've been to Illinois Chicago O'hare airport, but never set a foot outside the airport--would you still by an Illinois magnet or check it off your "states visited" list?

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I have not heard of any redeeming qualities of Illinois so I would say yes...count it. You had to breathe the air, call it good.

You shouldn't have to suffer through a lame state just to say you dun did it yall!!

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Doesn't count. Sometimes just the airport makes you never want to go back. I saw the Eiffel Tower as I was taking off out of Paris, and thats the last experience I ever want to have in France.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would count it if it was me, but only if you were able to buy the magnet at the airport at that time

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Just a quick question, If you were say--collecting refrigerator magnets for all the states and/or countries you've been to would you include states where you've only been to one of their airports? ie; I've been to Illinois Chicago O'hare airport, but never set a foot outside the airport--would you still by an Illinois magnet or check it off your "states visited" list?

Just sitting in the airports doesn't count, IMHO.

I have not heard of any redeeming qualities of Illinois so I would say yes...count it. You had to breathe the air, call it good.

You shouldn't have to suffer through a lame state just to say you dun did it yall!!

You've heard wrong. Chicago is an amazing city. I highly recommend you visit it before you judge.

ret32

In my world, you have to touch the ground with your feet. Airport property doesn't count. Driving in a vehicle doesn't count. You've got to leave the airport and get out of your car to count as a visit (gas stop or rest area is sketchy, but allowable). An exception could be made if you leave the airport on a shuttle bus or tour bus and return to the airport without actually touching the ground outside the airport property.

Edit: Driving on a dirt road, even if you don't get out of the vehicle, should count as well.

Last edited:
so.... does just being in one part of the state count for visiting the state?? just cause you land in lets say "salt lake city" doesnt mean you have been to utah the state. i have been all over utah and i know that parts of utah are not like slc... or like when you go to nevada most people think las vegas.. but i have been all over nevada and i have never once been to vegas.. i dont say i have been to a state. i will say i have been too "Ely nevada" or "san fransico california". i guess it depends on the person..

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
so.... does just being in one part of the state count for visiting the state?? just cause you land in lets say "salt lake city" doesnt mean you have been to utah the state. i have been all over utah and i know that parts of utah are not like slc... or like when you go to nevada most people think las vegas.. but i have been all over nevada and i have never once been to vegas.. i dont say i have been to a state. i will say i have been too "Ely nevada" or "san fransico california". i guess it depends on the person..

This is true for instance ive been to montana but only missoula( spelled that wrong) So thats what i tell people if they ask if i have been to montana etc.

Cherokeester

The philosophical answer here is, you collect magnets for memories. Each magnet reminds you of your visit somewhere. An airport magnet from Illinois reminds you of that particular part of your trip and is a totally valid collectable.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
The philosophical answer here is, you collect magnets for memories. Each magnet reminds you of your visit somewhere. An airport magnet from Illinois reminds you of that particular part of your trip and is a totally valid collectable.

What someone comes in here using logic that wont work;)