Range Rover

cjfj80

Are Range Rovers expensive to fix? That is a rumor I hear a long while back so I always stayed clear of them.
Are they dependable?
Another rumor I have been told but never sure if the person I was talking to was just anti-Range Rover.

kent l

Rovers

Hi, I have two land rovers a 94 RR classic and a 98 Discovery.
They are great trucks a good back yard mechnic can work on these. The newer the years the fuel delivery systems get more complicated and the idiot lights for the system go off sometimes at random. The only way to turn theses of is to take it to the dealer. 1995 and below you can turn these idiot lights off yourself.
If you buy one of these look for a good used california one. They have no rust and lots of them were sold there.

91MJ97TJ

IGNORE ME!!!!!
Well

I am loan officer at a credit union and let me just tell you that most extended warranties that we offer don't even cover them or want to cover them. Plus a lot of the auction type dealers will tell you that their transmissions are junk go out at 80,000. But since they are mostly like a luxury car the people that buy them put a maximum of 30,000 before they even get close to problems. I heard they are cool to lease. But I would never buy them because I have heard they are not good for longer than a year. But they are good resale cars.
But I would really like a Defender 90 but I think that is pre-ford ownership of this company. Last year they made those was 97 I believe. But I was told by a dealer/auction going guy don't buy anything newer than 1999.

Last edited:

krazz1e

if you can wrench yourself then they arent bad. despite what people say they are very reliable in terms of general guts.

aftermarket is there but it is much more $ than the toy and jeeps.

they are very particular on the basics. oil changes, plugs + wires, air filters.... if people don't do this then issue arise.

IMO d90 are a rip. 30k for a 10+ yr old vechile. Basically it's a d1.

Best value, best offroader at of all the rovers is a D1. They are cheap, but not cheap to mod.

Last edited:

redrockrover

Rovers are just like any other brand or manufacture of automobile out there. I have a ‘94 Defender 90. It has been very dependable for me and has never left me stranded. As for the tranny going out at 80k or so I do not agree with that. I have owed my Defender since late ’96. I have been involved in the rover community just as long and have not heard of trannies giving up the ghost around 80k. The key to having a good dependable vehicle is service and is keeping it maintained.

I would say that my D-90 is just as dependable as a Jeep. Rovers do have quirks and are not for everyone, just like a TJ is not for everyone. I do not take my Rover to the dealership unless I absolutely have to. Never go the Intermountain they are the rip off kings. Land Rover American Fork and Centerville are great. I usually deal with AF just because they are closer to me.

My D-90 has about 120K on the clock and so far the biggest issue I have had is a head gasket. (Knock on Wood) I have broken stuff like axel shafts and CV’s but that comes with wheeling. I have wheeled it pretty hard too. Nothing crazy or extreme and it has always gotten me back home. If you have any question in specific about rovers ask us. There are a few rover owners on the board. I love my D-90 and would not discourage anyone from owing a rover. My D-90 was my only means of transportation all through college.

cjfj80

So I found a 92 RR for $2800 and 20k on a rebuilt 3.9L. It looks to be in good shape. Sounds fine. 173k on the body. Is that a good deal? Or what should I be looking for?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
There is a shop behind my work called rover land and he is friends with a buddy of mine. They are always super busy since it seems no one wants to work on the rovers. I talk to him every couple days and they are constantly doing tranny swap and head gaskets etc. Not to say its just rovers but he continually has 12-15 rovers oustide all year. My thing would be that parts are gonna be more expensive both maintanence and aftermarket 4x4. I'd just use the body;)

kent l

$2800.00 Rr

If it is near perfect that is a good deal. I mean body great condition, good paint ect. I would also look for excessive rust on the frame and bolts.
1992 was a good year for them coil springs no air bags.
I have a 1994 LWB I have replaced the air with coil springs. I call it my 4x4 Lincolin it rides great.

Last edited:

V-DAWG

someday
I had a 97 disco for a few years. I ended up selling it to someone on this board, but I forgot his user name.

Like said above, they can be quirky, but that can be said about any vehicle. My Disco seemed like a pretty well built vehicle. I rode like a Cadillac, but would still go anywhere you pointed it.

Intermountain used to be a PIA, but they got a new service manager, so the problems seemed to diminish quite a bit. I live in SLC, but I would take it to Centerville for any work to be done after a few problems I had at Intermountain.

krazz1e

Mike @ roverland is a good mechanic and reasonably priced.

You should take the rig over to him to have him look it over. He can tell you if it's in good shape or not.

parts are not more than any other vechile. There are lots of cross parts too, like GM fuel pumps and power steering boxes... it's all about knowing where to get them. In other words, don't go to the dealer. But again, aftermarket is much more expensive. For example, 4.11 R&P are $400 (for 1 not a set) , vs typcial $150-200.

Despite all this they are super easy to work on. Drop out 3rd like a toy. Axles are weaker than a d44 but with some chromoly shafts and longfields they are just about as strong as toy axles (though d1 axles are only 24 spline and RR are only a 12 spline lol, but you can upgrade 24 spline). Full floaters though on a d1. If you get real hardcore you can retro fit a toy 3rd in and get the full 30 spline axles, but more importantly the R&P options.

It's all relative to how you plan to use it. Anyway, good luck.