ranger solid axle swap

spencevans

Overlander
The reality of it is, the price varies greatly due to the vehicle you start with. A Jeep Liberty SAS can be quite pricey because it is a unibody vehicle and installing a solid axle requires installing a sub frame to mount every thing to. Also, you end up sinking alot of money into lifting the rear end so it sits level with the front because to install a Solid axle on a liberty requires atleast 7-8" of lift so that it will flex properly.

Something like my little Mitsubishi is more straight forward than the Liberty but due to the poor design of the oem tcase you must intall a 2wd tranny and install a divorced tcase. Also because my axle is driver side drop my Tcase options are limited.

Something like a Ranger is even more straight forward because it already comes with most of the parts in place, so maybe you could do it for a reasonable price.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
the thought of a 24k sas makes me want to punch a baby... are you sure they didn't leave 23k in the glove box for when he picked it up? i mean wow

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Spence, if your friend had the money to spend, more power to him, he got a quality ride. And if he couldn't do the work himself, then I can see paying to have it done. I don't have that sort of coin to toss around, and I've been a patient guy. Even so, I think one could cut a few of those corners to get what you want in a SAS'd Libby. Nobody makes kits to do that so a lot of fab would be needed. I've never looked that close at a Libby so I don't know what it would take. But I could imagine starting with a ZJ or TJ long arm kit (and plan to modify parts) and deciding on springs after the inital fab work. Doesn't the Libby come with the Chrysler 8.25 and rear discs?

I doubt Ford and Jeep talked to each other when developing the Ranger and XJ, but it is aweful nice that there are some similarities in dimensions. Which is why the D30 swap into Rangers, Bronco 2s and Explorers is so popular. Of course, cheap to do is good as well.

Back to the original poster... Summit Machine has stuff you can use, Teraflex has stuff you can use too. Local folks. Great to chat with. Blue Torch Fabrication isnt local but has lots of parts that the local shops could make too. Ready made kits for 4 links are also available through SuicideDoors.com, they make links whatever length you want. Plenty of ways to get things done without breaking the bank.

I'm not into punching babies (even though I do hang at the Pirate now and again), but I've been know to kick kittens...

Last edited:

rondo

rondo
I just got my issue of 4wheel drive and sport utility; is this not the same libby as in that magazine? It says the vehicle is worth 30K; that means it's lost 20k in value already. and it already says he's thinking of upgrading the stock axles.:rolleyes:
this shop screwed him over imho by letting him sink thousands into a front dana 30. i mean damn couldn't he have gotten a front ford 9, diamond, etc etc etc etc for that much dime?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
why didn't the guy just go buy a one year old rubicon or something? that is what amazes me... i love the whole being different and doing things your own way deal but wow.

and as far as kicking kittens vs punching babies goes, if there was a button i could push to kill all the cats in the world i would rush to it and press it as many times as i could!

sorry for the sort of hijack but yeah 24k... wow!

spencevans

Overlander
I just got my issue of 4wheel drive and sport utility; is this not the same libby as in that magazine? It says the vehicle is worth 30K; that means it's lost 20k in value already. and it already says he's thinking of upgrading the stock axles.:rolleyes:
this shop screwed him over imho by letting him sink thousands into a front dana 30. i mean damn couldn't he have gotten a front ford 9, diamond, etc etc etc etc for that much dime?

I got my issue the other day and that is the same Liberty. It was done by AllJ's in Big Bear California. From talking to my buddy Seth Green of ARB who ran a similar setup on his KJ a few years back, a JK Rubicon would not be able to keep up with this KJ on the trails. He said alot of it has to do with wheel base and flexing ability/wheel travel. I would consider Seth a highly reliable source for knowing a rigs capability.

So now that you have read the article, now you have an exact break down of what it all costs. I wish the mags would give us a break down like this more often.

And for what it's worth, I tried to convince him that he would have been better off going with a JK44's like I did on my truck, but it is his rig, and he's the one that will have to fix it when it breaks. I got 2 complete JK44's with elockers from the dealer for $2600. I think he had that much tied up in his front axle alone.

Last edited: