Ranked choice voting

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Okay can someone educate me a little if you know. So Sandy went to ranked choice voting and had several candidates for mayor. On election night they had "called" the vote for one candidate and showed all but two eliminated, yet were only reporting 21% of the votes counted an choice 1-4 were separated by less than 1000 votes with somewhere in the neighborhood of over 40k votes left to be counted.

Today it shows 37% of the votes counted with 35,000 votes remaining to be counted. Yet "number 2" just conceded to "number 1" only being currently 36 votes behind. #1 has less than 2000 vote lead over #4 yet is showing eliminated with 35000 votes yet to be counted?

I don't get how a candidate is already eliminated in a field of eight with less than half the votes counted and why someone puts all the effort to run for office is currently number two just 36 votes behind yet concedes? When the county said they won't be done counting until the 16th???

My mind is baffled

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I wonder if there is a lag between posted results and counted results? Maybe they know something we're yet to know

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I for sure do not understand all of it, and how the counting is being done right now. But if I understand the idea right, I really like it. It is often said that a vote for someone other than the main two political parties is a “throwaway vote”. With the ranked choice you can vote for your favorite, but then give your second vote to the main political party leader you would like. I would hope that this will eventually lead to better candidates and options.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Moab recently moved to ranked choice voting also. As if the city wasn’t enough of a mess.

Hey now, it’s not all bad 🤪 although, both liberals and conservatives in Moab accused rank choice voting of a conspiracy to put the other in office. Contrary to just about all opinions out there, I hold all electeds in Moab in high regard, and genuinely believe they are doing what they believe best for the community.

I know nothing about what’s going in Sandy, but if it’s that close it can easily sway. Currently in Moab, 2 council members are separated by only 1 vote in round 3, so even though there are only a handful of votes not counted, it could go either way.

RCV resolves a lot of the problems I see with the current elections. Less polarizing, no fear of throwing away votes because you don’t want to vote party lines. I’d love to see RCV adopted in presidential elections.

shortstraw8

It is supposed to be the most fair voting system, an old coworker who loves the political world would not stop complaining about it though, can't remeber the exact reason. Basically the most voted for candidate is supposed to win, though the first preference vote kind screws the lowest candidate as the first candidate with the most first preference vote % kinda wins and the lowest get the boot. Seemed shady when he would talk about it, and should probably look into it again as Utah is supposed to use this system for the next few years iirc.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Hoping Kent Green pulls it out in Moab!

He pulled 6.7%, or 122 votes. The bulk of his voters went with the favored conservative as their 2nd choice (who also ended up losing out), but this makes the point that those votes for Kent weren’t thrown away, they still held weight to the other conservative candidate