Rattle snake or Little moab

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by WasatchCruiser
What the "H" happened to the bumper on that disco?! Did he forget to bolt it on or what?

Nice user pict Wasatch Cruiser... I like it...

So this bumper was bolted on but it ripped the bolts out? Is that what Im to understand?

P

pokeyYJ

About the bumper on the Disco. She had the bumper put on by me, and yes I did bolt it on. The Disco has impact absorbers on it that ARB incorporates into its design. Well needless to say, bajaing through Poision Spider has negative effects when you run into slickrock at like 20mph. $4300 later and the disco is all better:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That sucks!!! So what needs to happen to make the ARB bumpers a better fit and more durable... I have customers that have them on FJ40's 60's and 70's and they thrash the heck out of em' and never have I seen one do that. Did they call ARB about the way it mounts to the impact absorbers... is there anyway to delete the impact absorbers...

Seems like a weak design on their part...

Good Luck!

WJL

I wouldn't think its the mounting system. It was probally the 20 miles per hour on Poison Spider hitting rocks. The average bumper would not withstand a impact like that.

Did the air bag go off?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Check out the door/fender gap on the 'rover and you'll see part of the damage, I'm sure.

Did the impact bend the frame that much? That would total most vehicles when I was painting (then again, that was quite a few years ago)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by WJL
I wouldn't think its the mounting system. It was probally the 20 miles per hour on Poison Spider hitting rocks. The average bumper would not withstand a impact like that.

Did the air bag go off?

I'm tellin ya man...they really use their ARB bumpers...trees, urban monster trucking, you name it...they may be a little bent and dented here and there but not destroyed like that... seems like the mounting locations need to be redesigned... I will never sell an ARB for a Rover after seeing that picture.

P

pokeyYJ

The frame is not bent, when the bumper twisted down the corners hit the fender and tweaked it. Two new fenders fixed that. Let me get a diagram to show you how the impact absorbers worked. The air bag did not go off, I think that there is a relay that stops the airbag from going off when it is in 4lo. Let me show you what happened. When she called arb, she asked them if they had any trouble with similar setups, and they said only when the vehicle was in a wreck!! The guy said that they couldn't change the design because of all the areas the bumper was sold in, it wouldn't meet crash regulations in Australia.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
The frame is not bent, when the bumper twisted down the corners hit the fender and tweaked it. Two new fenders fixed that. Let me get a diagram to show you how the impact absorbers worked. The air bag did not go off, I think that there is a relay that stops the airbag from going off when it is in 4lo. Let me show you what happened. When she called arb, she asked them if they had any trouble with similar setups, and they said only when the vehicle was in a wreck!! The guy said that they couldn't change the design because of all the areas the bumper was sold in, it wouldn't meet crash regulations in Australia.

So $4300 was for bumper ends, fenders and paint work......maybe I should start painting again......

P

pokeyYJ

No the 4300 was for a new arb, fenders, paintwork, and new clear bra. The bumper was 800 the fenders are 400 a piece (wholesale), and the paint is a metalic flake that is very expensive.

mbryson

Supporting Member
No the 4300 was for a new arb, fenders, paintwork, and new clear bra. The bumper was 800 the fenders are 400 a piece (wholesale), and the paint is a metalic flake that is very expensive.

So we've got 800, 800 and say 400 (for the 'clearbra'). So $2100 for 8-10 hours of work (and it will be detailed beyond belief for that much). Sounds good to me......were there any shops for rent in the classifieds....hmmmm....hmmmmm....I'd even leave a 12 pack of the favorite beverage on the seat at delivery.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...The guy said that they couldn't change the design because of all the areas the bumper was sold in, it wouldn't meet crash regulations in Australia.

I can understand that, it is ARB's policy not to sell any bumpers that require you to in any way disable the airbag or absorber systems. But in reality you could modify one of their bumpers on your own so that this won't happen. I guess this is a learning situation... good to know before it happens to me...

I installed an ARB on a Toyota Tacoma and they use a absorber system kindve like the one on the Rover... When I was installing it I was seriously thinking to my self "I would definatly do this different on my own rig" but the owner wanted to keep it all factory and not modify anything but the addition of the bumper...

Well good luck..:D

WJL

The whole set up actully worked as desinged with aftermarket bummper or stock bumper.
Driver was actually in a wreck( 20 miles per hour impacting slick rock). So the system in the rover did work, ARB bumper hit rock at 20 mph, bumper mounting system that Rover desinged failed at the mounting point causing alot less damage to passengers and vehicle.

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by mbryson

So we've got 800, 800 and say 400 (for the 'clearbra'). So $2100 for 8-10 hours of work (and it will be detailed beyond belief for that much). Sounds good to me......were there any shops for rent in the classifieds....hmmmm....hmmmmm....I'd even leave a 12 pack of the favorite beverage on the seat at delivery.

Well the 4300 was what the insurance company paid her. I'm not saying that is what is cost to fix, new absorbers here, old bumper there, new fenders here, no clear bra there. And we have a little extra cash left over:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by WJL
... bumper mounting system that Rover desinged failed at the mounting point causing alot less damage to passengers and vehicle.

And of course Rover claims no responsibility due to the fact that an aftermarket bumper was installed...that sucks...

Well it looks like the insurance took care of the truck... I guess thats why we insure the things...accidents happen...

BTW what was the insurance agencies reaction to the fact it happen offroad? did they offer any resistance or were they very good about resolving the situation?

cr wld zy

Pokey!

The insurance did NOT pay me $4300, that was one of the higher estimates I got. They paid me a lot less than that to have the repairs done myself. Which was the only way to afford my deductible.

xjc

I give up :(
FYI

I don't know if anyone else has read the ARB catalog about their bumpers. I did and the jist of it is that they design their bumper to work with the airbag system. The car manufacturer designes the bags to go off at a certain G force. They take into account the stiffness of the stock bumper when they set all this up. Arb makes their bumbers such that the air bag will still go off at the right time in the right way. If they didn't do this you could wind up with your air bag going off at a lower impact because the bumper is so stiff.

ARB is absolutely the best shtick you can buy and they won't sell you anything that isn't done right for both on and off road. Thats why the're so spendy.

Try that colision with the stock bumper, probably would have bent the frickin frame and been into it more that 4500.

BTW, Nice story:cool: