Northern Utah Rattlesnake (5mile) 8/10/13

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
I would like to go how can I get to chevron from I-15 south ?

i get off on bangerter and take it to redwood, then take redwood south to saratoga springs. its a quick drive from salt lake.

I'm headed with some friends to the Lucas Offroad Races on Saturday...

damn.. is there anyone else coming that can show the trail? i was hoping to ride along and check it out.

hardline90

Real rigs are built!
I have been following this thread and would love to make the trip, but I have to be in Salt Lake at 4:00 so looks to be to late for me, but I have been following the bypass discussion. I do a lot of guiding in Moab with Red Rocks and this issue comes up a lot with the SUWA and a lot of the fire power used to try and shut down our trails. The problem with bypasses and rigs not set up for the trail is: A bypass starts with just a go around, then the word gets out that you can go around some obstacles and still hit others, so more and more rigs not set up for the trail go to pick and choose their obstacles. Like Ryan stated, this starts the trail being the bypass, but as more and more rigs take the bypass, it gets more and more chewed up causing bypasses to the bypasses and the trail gets very wide. The trail then gets the attention of environmentalists and the BLM. Then the battle begins to keep it open. This has happened with a lot of the trails in Moab and the reason for the signs, cables closing areas and the very large volunteer man hours working on the trails. I understand people like to challenge themselves and their rigs, but if it can't be done in your rig, please turn around; it will save the trail for all of us later on down the road.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
damn.. is there anyone else coming that can show the trail? i was hoping to ride along and check it out.
As of right now the trail is to new and there isn't anyone that knows the exact route that's been outlined. On another note, congrats on getting that locker out back installed... I wanna see some good video of you hitting WW in the trip report with a big smile on your face!!!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I have been following this thread and would love to make the trip, but I have to be in Salt Lake at 4:00 so looks to be to late for me, but I have been following the bypass discussion. I do a lot of guiding in Moab with Red Rocks and this issue comes up a lot with the SUWA and a lot of the fire power used to try and shut down our trails. The problem with bypasses and rigs not set up for the trail is: A bypass starts with just a go around, then the word gets out that you can go around some obstacles and still hit others, so more and more rigs not set up for the trail go to pick and choose their obstacles. Like Ryan stated, this starts the trail being the bypass, but as more and more rigs take the bypass, it gets more and more chewed up causing bypasses to the bypasses and the trail gets very wide. The trail then gets the attention of environmentalists and the BLM. Then the battle begins to keep it open. This has happened with a lot of the trails in Moab and the reason for the signs, cables closing areas and the very large volunteer man hours working on the trails. I understand people like to challenge themselves and their rigs, but if it can't be done in your rig, please turn around; it will save the trail for all of us later on down the road.

These are some really good points. There's a flip side to this though, and that's when people with overbuilt rigs go looking for a challenge, and go a little too far off a trail just to put their wheel up on a rock or climb a particular ledge that isn't really part of a trail. That's going on on Rattlesnake, too, where little splits in the trail go in directions no miner ever would have built a road, so I don't think any particular group or type of user gets to claim the moral high ground here.

The answer is education, but in area like Rattlesnake I suspect that if too many questions get asked about what exactly is road and what exactly is an open obstacle, nobody will like the answers. If anybody is going to lay down the law out there, it's going to be the BLM and the private land owners and I'm betting that we don't want them to do that. There's some good points in this thread about wheeling smart, and I think that's our best bet for not forcing the land managers hands.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
sweet, we're gonna have a good sized group headin up there. cant wait till morning! :)

hey jinxspot, i will totally attempt WW... when i get my sliders installed. haha

mineral basin is already responsible for a dent in my rocker on the drivers side so sliders are my next upgrade. very soon!

blznnp

Casey, Thanks for getting this run together, had a great time. The two boys that were with me had a good time for their first time going and doing a trail run and I think watching that buggy helped out a lot.

Tom95YJ

Tom @ Artec
I wish I would have been able to Join, But I my wife had to work and I wont wheel my YJ until I get some front recovery points. Not to mention its stock and the tires have paper thin sidewalls.

Did anyone get any pics ?

blznnp

for some reason my phone was acting up but I did manage to get one video. This was after a few minutes of trying eagles nest.
[video=youtube;WRVxZsR-MrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRVxZsR-MrU&feature=youtu.be[/video]