RC ers,

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
My 9 year old son is really wanting a new bad a$$ RC. He has some of those cheep ones under $100.00, but is now... growing up...:eek:

Help, any advice?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I'll check those out. What about battery life? Say, when you go camping how long are the batteries lasting these days? How many are needed? I can charge them with the generator..

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've seen the RC dudes out at Little Moab charging batteries with power inverters.. I'd think the trick is to get quality batteries that can charge in 20-30mins.. You get 2 of those and you burn one down while the other charges..

krany

kranberry
i would go get him a traxxas slash, either 2wd or 4wd it all depends how much coin you want to drop, they are dam near bullet proof, i have smashed mine full-throttle into trees and parked cars:rofl: if you want the best get the traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate, its the best packege you can get imo worth the money, you get a 2.4ghz radio( no interfearance what so ever and you dont have to pick channels) comes with all water proof electronics so driving in snow, mud water is no problem. only thing i would suggest is upgrading to a lipo batter and a decent charger. i would upgrade to a 3 cell lipo with 3000MAH and a multiplex charger, if you want to stay with the stock battery i would still get the multiplex charger( will charge most types of rc batteries and is only 60 bucks or so) that charger will make the batteries last longer than with the stock charger as well as charge them faster and more efficiently, down side is its DC only so you would have to get a AC to DC converter. if you have any more questions you can PM me or if you go to west valley hobbies and talk to mike and say krany sent me here he can hook you up on getting your son the right truck. he's a real good strait up guy to buy anything rc from.
http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/6807_slash4x4/tour/default.html#/content-00
http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/6808_slash4x4/tour/default.html#/video-00

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
With LIPO batteries and brushless motors, electric is now soo much better than nitro... faster, more powerful, longer runtime, lighter, simpler, cheaper, etc.

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
I have a Slash, and a Blitz and both are very durable trucks. I also have 2 nitro rustlers and I spend $100 every time I take them out. Canyon Hobbies in Draper has the Blitz for sale right now with a cheap battery and charger for $189 that is the best deal I found. You can get a good nicd battery there for about $30 and my son gets about 30 minutes of run time out of it.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I have an Axial, and run Ni Cad packs. The Ni Cad's run maybe an hour, but the charge time is around 30 minutes so with two batteries you're never out of power.

My charger will operate off 110V, or 12VDC. I did this so I can charge it directly off the Jeep battery when we're out playing, but usually just 110 when we're at home.

I went with the Axial just because I like the design and parts are easy to come by. In reality though, they're all very similar if you stay with a quality truck. Do you want a crawler or more of a short course truck?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Thanks for all the info, big help. That slash looks like killer truck. Kinda more than I wanted to spend, but... Looks like the 2wd version would be funner than the 4wd version.

These things have really changed since my time.

Jesser04

Thanks for all the info, big help. That slash looks like killer truck. Kinda more than I wanted to spend, but... Looks like the 2wd version would be funner than the 4wd version.

These things have really changed since my time.

I've driven both and I perfer the 4wd version it's smaller and all around a more fun car. I would probably get the 4wd revo for a younger kid they are a little more stable.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...These things have really changed since my time.

Man your not kidding, I've been browsing through some of the link and Traxxis makes some sweet stuff. I've got an old RC car that I break out once a year for 5 minutes of fun. This thread has me inspired to get something new.

Edit: just read you boy is 9! Crazy I think when I first met you out at your place in West Jordan he was just a toddler. Time flies :cool:

My bet is Shawn buys one for his boy and ends up having to buy a second so they can play nice :D

Last edited:

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
get a 1/10 and I would get the 4x4. I have a 2 wheel drive and it is great for racing and skate parks but if doesnt do good on grass and stuff like that

There are also several places that race the 1/10 along the wasatch front. Fun stuff!!

neagtea

Supporting Member
With LIPO batteries and brushless motors, electric is now soo much better than nitro... faster, more powerful, longer runtime, lighter, simpler, cheaper, etc.

I like the cool sound of combustion engines. Although they are more Maint.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Man your not kidding, I've been browsing through some of the link and Traxxis makes some sweet stuff. I've got an old RC car that I break out once a year for 5 minutes of fun. This thread has me inspired to get something new.

Edit: just read you boy is 9! Crazy I think when I first met you out at your place in West Jordan he was just a toddler. Time flies :cool:

My bet is Shawn buys one for his boy and ends up having to buy a second so they can play nice :D

HA! I was going to ask for a deal if I bought two...:rofl: