RC ers,

ALF

SURE!?
I'll check those out. What about battery life? Say, when you go camping how long are the batteries lasting these days? How many are needed? I can charge them with the generator..

The charger I got has clips on it to hook it to a car battery to charge the rc battery;)

My wife bought me a axial scx10 RTR, battery, charger, and a K5 replacement body from West Valley Hobbies for under $400 I love it when I get to play with it, my 8 year old steals it from me all the time:rofl:

Swoop69

I have had a bunch of older Traxxas trucks, both gas and electric (not brushless), and think they are a pretty good value. the new ones that are waterproof and 2.4ghz are really cool. last year for Christmas, I bought my boys (ages 8 and 10) the Team Associated RC18MT (non brushless). These things are amazing!!! 4 wheel drive, long battery life, and fast as hell!!! I would never spend the money on a brushless kit for a 8 or 9 year old. they are fast enough as is, and he will just break parts every time he drives it. I also wouldnt get a nitro for a kid. they are way too finicky and require constant maintenance.

I wish my kids played with theirs more, because of the money i spent on these. You might want to look at the Thunder Tiger. I was told that it was made by Team Associated, but their economy brand... all parts are interchangeable, and it comes with a 2.4... $139 for everything built and ready to run.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Thunder_Tiger_Phoenix_p/ttr6539-f071.htm

Last edited:

sixb

Will work for beer!
I have the losi comp crawler and I bought my 6 year old boy the axial ax10 scorpion rtc. He loves it and it's held up to his abuse.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Shawn, get the 1/10 scale, Way easier to run and they are truly bulletproof, I have videos of us launching them off 30 foot cliffs for hours and finally broke a 7.00 part. You wont be sorry, the package Krany speaks of is a great setup you will never need to upgrade...I promise your son will have a hell of a time getting his new truck back after you have played with it one time! :D

Oh ya.. EBAY is way cheap on them now..

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
HA! I was going to ask for a deal if I bought two...:rofl:

I've got two of these:
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/867/
F3ybgauvaWjGa_X94cGrNwluoWVjOVPZvQM8TzpXP8uIUNE0cJUg1E9qZdAJgn-tq7Lqq1JLmoYz_3YlE19GnKFDWFPEJyqcxX-Ak_G1qr8aTPULlmqRqCwfQeCoqn2Rp7Yt69w

One is completely stock? and nearly new. But needs a battery charger for the roto start feature. The other has tons of aftermarket parts on it. I also have lots of spare parts for both trucks - bodies, tires, chassis parts, trannies, etc. The hopped up truck has a three speed trans with reverse, new steering servo and carb.

Both are complete. Add fuel and go. The hopped up truck needs to be tuned after adding the new carb.

I also just bought Austin a cool lil car. 4x4 and it was $50 (should have been $60).
http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/1-24-Scale-Electric/SumoRC

We've played with it a bit and it's alright. I want to get the bigger motor for it in hopes it helps it out power wise. ..Only so much 4AA's can do maybe? When they are fresh it does pretty good, but after ~10 minutes it barely can run on the carpet, let alone driver over stuff. It's fast. I'd gladly trade some of the speed for better crawl-ability.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I went down to Planet RC and talked with a guy, asked him for a deal if I buy two... he laughed at he (kinda) and said they are already price low. Came home checked out ebay and the best deal I could fine there only saved me $20.00. I really love ebay, but $20.00 isn't enough of a savings.

Some of the forums for these things are crazy, these guys really get into their RC's.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i had an emaxx and it was super fun. they're independent suspension all around but i got spools f/r and lower gears in it and it was a champ for crawling and hauling. plus with being a 14.4 it had some power. i sold it a few years ago and now my neighbor kid got one and i wish i still had mine :ugh:

i loved jumping that thing and driving it through snow was way fun too

01XJ

I think the Slash Ultimate 1-10 has the most appeal.
Slash would be a very smart choice for a kid and even adult they are almost indestructible you can beat the hell out of them and they just keep going. Go to West Valley Hobbies its about 5400 So and Redwood Go in there ask for Mike and tell him "Tiny" sent ya and he will take care of you and get ya what you need and let ya know what would be best for your son (And You:rofl: you know your going to want one) . Mike is a awesome guy you will be in good hands with him:cool:

NOTATOY

BACKYARD CUSTOMZ
Canyon Hobbies is RC Planets retail store and they have a ton of trucks in stock and they are the exact same price as RC Planet. The nice thing about them is that they are internet pricing where most other shops I checked it was an average of $30-$50 more for the exact same trucks thats why they don't really do any discounts.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Canyon Hobbies is RC Planets retail store and they have a ton of trucks in stock and they are the exact same price as RC Planet. The nice thing about them is that they are internet pricing where most other shops I checked it was an average of $30-$50 more for the exact same trucks thats why they don't really do any discounts.

I just called Canyon Hobby and they answered RC Planet, same place I went to yesterday, they are sister companies.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Slash would be a very smart choice for a kid and even adult they are almost indestructible you can beat the hell out of them and they just keep going. Go to West Valley Hobbies its about 5400 So and Redwood Go in there ask for Mike and tell him "Tiny" sent ya and he will take care of you and get ya what you need and let ya know what would be best for your son (And You:rofl: you know your going to want one) . Mike is a awesome guy you will be in good hands with him:cool:

Thanks, their price is about $20.00 more than RC Planet.