RE bushing and race replacement

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
ok here i go. i've got the Rubicon Express 4.5" SuperFlex kit and this is the first time i've had to replace crap in them. i've got some issues:

1) how do you get the old bushings out?
2) should i replace the stock bolts with GR8 hardware?
3) the arms won't adjust, like they're rusted tight. would it help to take a propane torch to it?
4) the bolt going thru the axle side rear UCA won't budge, like it's rusted to the inside of the joint. any ideas?
5) where's the cheapest place to pick up the polyurethane races used in RE's upper and lower CAs?

There are c-clips holding the washers and races in place. It's simple, remove them and nock everything out. I doubt a propane torch would get anything hot enough to free it up but it's worth a try. I would try a vice and long prybar first.
If the hardware is in good shape I wouldn't worry about replacing it. It's probably already grade 8 since that's what comes in RE's kits.
You're SOL on the rear. Sometimes those bolts rust to the sleeve that's vulcanized in the rubber bushing. Or polly bushing in this case. The only thing to do is cut it off with a torch or cutting wheel and junk the bushing. Then press in a new one.
I couldn't tell you where the cheapest place is, they're probably not too much money.

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
You can get the rubber bushings from Suka. The polyurethane racings aren't very much, and you can just order them from RE.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Removing the Rubber bushings, From a previous thread:

I usually get a torch and heat up the metal sleeve in the center, then it usually just shoots out of the rubber really fast. It's kind of funny... Anyways, do that and then pry the burning rubber out of the outer sleeve. Then either pry the outer sleeve out, or if it wont budge cut it out with a sawzall or something.

You will need a press to get the new bushings in all the way. Takes only a few minutes to press them in. I usually just find a really large socket that fits the outside rim of the bushing just right to press it in with. Works well.

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
can you press it in by running it over or having a fat guy stand on it? i don't exactly have a hydraulic press :rolleyes:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Brad Yates
can you press it in by running it over or having a fat guy stand on it? i don't exactly have a hydraulic press :rolleyes:

Hi-Lift jack and a big heavy truck maybe? Never tried it... :cool:

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
ok the whole rear passenger UCA axle mount has to go! i know RE sells the whole kit but where can i get just this one piece?

and i like the idea of the big truck/hi-lift press

EDIT: RE sells them separately so i ordered that and a small joint for $75.

Last edited: