RE-installing XP

Crinco

Ok.

I want a clean install of XP on my computer. My current drive is a 20 gig, new one I just bought is a 250 gig serial drive. I want to put xp on the new drive, but XP doesn't support a serial drive for the install, without 3rd party drivers. I have the disk that came with the new drive(serial), but not sure how to get the drivers to work.
Is there a faster way to get this going? Am I missing something here that would make this much simpler?
Chris R.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
get into your bios (typically delete key early on in boot). There will be an option in there to boot from your CD drive .. enable this. Now boot to your XP installation disk.

Way earily on in during the install, you get the option to load optional drivers. It's at this point that you need to load your serial drivers. You will likely need to get these drivers on a floppy disk before this step.

Do you have a floppy on your machine?

Crinco

I knew this was going to be asked and I forgot to put it in my first post. I am booting to my cd drive w/ XP in it and it does ask for the raid drivers then. It wants them put in the floppy drive which I do have but is disabled. I can fix that, but not sure where the drivers are, and I dont have a disk (floppy) to put them on.
Ok, found a floppy, not sure if it is any good. How do I know what drivers to put on the disk?
CR

Back in a minute, have to reboot to turn on the floppy.

Meat_

Banned
F6 F6 F6!!!

You have to either have the cd that came with your mobo (which will have the drivers on it), or go to your mobo's web site and get the raid drivers for the appropriate chipset (the one that is controlling the SATA plug you are on)... then make your flooopy

OOOOR just go buy a new mobo that has native SATA :handlebars:

Last edited:

Crinco

What the heck is a MOBO?
Ohh, I think you mean Mother Board.... yeah, funny thing that. I was looking through my CD's the other day and realized how many of those disks I have. like 5 different ones, I have no idea which one goes with this MOBO.
Guess I am gonna have to figure that out.
SO, if I put in the mother board disk it might have the drivers I need to run the drive so I can install windows?
CR

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
if your mobo is older, it may not be on the disks that came with it. don't be afraid to pull the cover and see what type of mobo it is ... then go to their web site and find new drivers ... or find the website of your hard drive, go to their website and look for drivers there .... I'd go to the web at this point for drivers instead of digging through old disks that came with the machine

Meat_

Banned
It should. Was it a prebuilt computer? If it's a Dell or whatever you can do a search for the model number and sata drivers.

If it's a good compu.... errr.. if it's one that got put together from parts you should be able to take the side off and see the model number/manufacturer on the motherboard.

Meat_

Banned
3yrs but it still had the drivers... the nForce3's and up have native SATA.... :bow: native SATA

Last edited:

Crinco

ok, let see here.
I built it, about two years ago. It is an ASUS board, amd chip. I have the manual here, so i have the model number and such. I am sure the web would be best too, so the drivers are more up to date. Let me go to their web site and see what I can find. Truth is, most of this stuff goes right over my head anymore.
cr

Meat_

Banned
If it's an asus the model number will be in big white letters on the mobo generally toward the bottom between pci slots.

Get me a model number and I'll get you the drivers

Crinco

I have the page up, but the only drivers it lists for the raid are linex. I am going to download them anyways, will they work with XP?
CR

FYI
asus A7N8X DELUXE

Meat_

Banned
This should be it. They may not have the right stuff up for that model anymore, I have a cd for that mobo if needs be.

Last edited:

Crinco

Yes, I picked that one up. They have a Beta out for a newer one but I think I will stick with a more reliable driver for now. now to get it on a disk and see if I can get things going.
Thanks for the help guys. I will likely be back. :)
CR