re-packing your R+P :)

Vonski

nothing to see here...
So, when you remove a 3rd member or the cover of your Dana axle, you expect to encounter gear oil, right? Of course, the R+P, carrier and pinion bearings, etc. need to be lubricated. OK, so we've heard stories of people forgetting to fill their diffs w/ fluid and burn stuff up, but have you ever thought about simply packing everything inside the diff w/ grease? Well, we were surprised to see this inside a Toyota front axle...

Last edited:

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Did you tell the customer to clean out his diff himself? What a yuck job.

I guess it would work....man that would take a lot of grease!

EZ

James K

NO, I'm always like this
now I have heard of putting grease on your hub bearings on a 14 bolt so they are lubed until the gear oil gets to them but......................not this :-\

Vonski

nothing to see here...
EZRhino said:
Did you tell the customer to clean out his diff himself? What a yuck job.

I guess it would work....man that would take a lot of grease!

EZ

Keeping the pinion bearings lubricated is the biggest problem. BTW, I'm doing a knuckle rebuild only. The customer will be coming to pick up the housing and he will be cleaning it. :D

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Hehehehehehe :D I hate it when they do that. I had a 14 bolt come in that had 10 year old brick style railroad grease in the tubes that sucked!!

Andy

Jeromy

I heard that people do this in mud boging type rigs to help keep water and such out. tranys & t-cases too..... looks like alot of fun. :ugh:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Parker had a frt 60 with packed bearings....Saved the housing/bearing, too bad it did'nt lube the r/p....

Old guy at Boyce packs all the bearings when he rebuilds them....