Re-vamping the WR

pELYgroso

'Merica
I'm not great at keeping up with build threads usually, but I thought I'd document my "clean-up" of my WR. I'm not going to call it a re-build because the motor is staying in one piece. Rotbox's threads are rebuilds, mine is just a clean-up :p

This started because my wife bought me a new pipe and silencer for my birthday last Saturday! FMF Fatty pipe and Powercore II silencer! :D -love my wife! Pics of how the bike looked before can be found here: http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=77365

So I started to tear off the plastics and remove all of the stickers besides the ones that are on the front radiator guards because they are in decent shape still. I'm not going for a show bike by any means, but the plastics were pretty brown/yellow, but with a little elbow grease they're a lot better now! This picture of the plastics is after I cleaned them up!

Take a look at the old exhaust compared to the new. BIG difference! :greg:

Attachments

• 2011-03-30 21.56.29.jpg
    2011-03-30 21.56.29.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-03-30 21.56.45.jpg
    2011-03-30 21.56.45.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-03-30 21.56.57.jpg
    2011-03-30 21.56.57.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-03-30 21.56.21.jpg
    2011-03-30 21.56.21.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 2011-03-30 21.56.15.jpg
    2011-03-30 21.56.15.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
Here are some pictures of the plastics mocked up on one side w/ the pipe and silencer also on. I love how much just the shiny pipe cleans up the bike, and the bright white plastics look great as well!

Attachments

• 2011-03-30 22.26.22.jpg
    2011-03-30 22.26.22.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2011-03-30 22.25.48.jpg
    2011-03-30 22.25.48.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2011-03-30 22.25.33.jpg
    2011-03-30 22.25.33.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 2011-03-30 22.25.15.jpg
    2011-03-30 22.25.15.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 8

pELYgroso

'Merica
What do you guys think about this...I'm considering cutting the fenders and rear number plate back a little to "modernize" the bike a little. These pics give you an idea of what I'm thinking about doing.

Attachments

• 2011-03-30 22.26.10.jpg
    2011-03-30 22.26.10.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 2011-03-30 22.26.10 painted.jpg
    2011-03-30 22.26.10 painted.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 11

Caleb

What do you guys think about this...I'm considering cutting the fenders and rear number plate back a little to "modernize" the bike a little. These pics give you an idea of what I'm thinking about doing.
Not a bad idea, there is a guy the lives out in Tooele that does that to all his bikes. I'll see if I can find some of his pics.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Killer bikes! Man I'd love to have a 250Z :chris: The thing I love most about them is the fact that unlike most off-road dirtbikes that are typically de-tuned and softened up the WR two strokes were a full on--no holding back cross country race bike right out of the box. One of the top 5 best 2T 250cc dirtbikes ever made imo.

Pipe combo looks great--your wife is one in a million haha. Fyi the Arm and Hammer magic erasers do wonders on cleaning plastics as well :D

Can't wait to see more!

Caleb

Not a bad idea, there is a guy the lives out in Tooele that does that to all his bikes. I'll see if I can find some of his pics.

Here's some of his pics:
Before (stock ATK, his before pics were gone):
ATK_450.jpg

After:
PeoriaTT056.jpg

PeoriaTT057.jpg

Before:
samsXR.jpg

After:
XR628.jpg

rholbrook

You need to get some fork covers on that WR. You ever follow someone on a gravel road and those inner tubes will get a dings in them and tear out the seals.

Caleb

ya, the seals are bad right now. I need to get them re-done. Any suggestions on a good and inexpensive shop?
Your garage :D Really, seals are quite easy to do. You will need to buy some tools but then you can do them whenever you want/need to. Otherwise DWR Suspensions in Riverton comes highly recommended.

pELYgroso

'Merica
so, after looking at some of these cut fenders, I re-did my awesome paint idea to this:

Attachments

• 2011-03-30 22.26.22 painted 3.jpg
    2011-03-30 22.26.22 painted 3.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 14

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
ya, the seals are bad right now. I need to get them re-done. Any suggestions on a good and inexpensive shop?

Your garage :D Really, seals are quite easy to do. You will need to buy some tools but then you can do them whenever you want/need to.

Yep really easy to do once you know how to do it lol.

Some seals are much better than others. Synergy Seals are my favorite brand but whatever you do don't buy the "Leak Proof" brand they are terrible :ugh:

You can make your own seal driver on the cheap pretty easily. Take a pipe/tube that fits around your fork leg while also fitting inside of your fork housing. So its going to be basically the same size as a seal only with a slightly larger ID and a smaller OD... Cut it about 3" long then cut it in half long ways so you have two cresent shaped pieces. Polish and clean them up so you don't risk scratching your forks when you tap the seals in place. I wish I could explain it better :-\ but in when you are done they should look similar to these http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...atId=13&keyword=seal+driver&prodFamilyId=1479 only much cheaper.

Seals drive in very easily just make sure your push them in straight.

rholbrook

Your garage :D Really, seals are quite easy to do. You will need to buy some tools but then you can do them whenever you want/need to. Otherwise DWR Suspensions in Riverton comes highly recommended.

A shop will charge you in the neighborhood of $75/shock plus parts and oil. The tools will cost you roughly $40 for seal driver, $20 for the oil measuring device and a pint of oil runs anywhere from $12 on up to maybe $18 for BelRey. You will need seals $10/each and possibly bushings. I have the REAL seal drivers that Rocky Mountain Atv sells as well as the bullit you see on the link above. You can make your own but with the real driver you can hear when the seal in driven in all the way. I was going to make my own but decided if I was going to do it often enough I didn't want to dink around trying to make one.

I have the seal driver, bullet and measurer for the oil you are welcome to use. Better yet, if you want to make a run to Kaysville and bring the forks off of your bike we can have you in and out in 30 minutes. It is really easy to do and any moron can do it as evidenced by me being able to do it. If you want to run up real quick all it will cost you is a D Coke. From Lehi, I'm 45 min away.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
A shop will charge you in the neighborhood of $75/shock plus parts and oil. The tools will cost you roughly $40 for seal driver, $20 for the oil measuring device and a pint of oil runs anywhere from $12 on up to maybe $18 for BelRey. You will need seals $10/each and possibly bushings. I have the REAL seal drivers that Rocky Mountain Atv sells as well as the bullit you see on the link above. You can make your own but with the real driver you can hear when the seal in driven in all the way. I was going to make my own but decided if I was going to do it often enough I didn't want to dink around trying to make one.

I have the seal driver, bullet and measurer for the oil you are welcome to use. Better yet, if you want to make a run to Kaysville and bring the forks off of your bike we can have you in and out in 30 minutes. It is really easy to do and any moron can do it as evidenced by me being able to do it. If you want to run up real quick all it will cost you is a D Coke. From Lehi, I'm 45 min away.

Very generous! When might you be available? Probably next week would be best for me.

turbohaulic

I don't know it just is!
I just did a little re buildin on my 92 WR. I rebuilt the motor and had Erik Gorr put a 265 kit on it and port n polish:D I had the frame powder coated (mostly for the hell of it) and just kinda went through all the bearings and linkage. Here's some pics :)

Attachments

• Copy (2) of Picture 034.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 034.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Copy (2) of Picture 037.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 037.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Copy (2) of Picture 041.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 041.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Copy (2) of Picture 061.jpg
    Copy (2) of Picture 061.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 071.jpg
    Picture 071.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 14

pELYgroso

'Merica
WOW, I love your rebuild! One of these days (probably when my bike starts to feel tired) I'll give it a thorough rebuild like that.

Moab was AWESOME! The bike ran perfect and we had a blast! I love my pipe and silencer combo! did part of the behind the rocks trail and the sovereign single track trail.