Ready Welder Assistance / Repair

Team1k

So i got a new to me ready welder but cant get it to work. Not sure if i just dont know what im doing or if theres actually something wrong. I have the AC power adapter for it which ive hooked up, pull the trigger, the cold switch clicks and opens the valve for the gas, but the gun doesnt feed wire or get a current as far as i can tell. While holding the trigger i have touched the welding wire to a grounded piece of metal and nothing happened. Based off what i can see online it appears that the LED's on the gun should be lit all the time to indicate if im using flux(red) or gas(green) and thats based on how its connected. So my guess is the circuit board is shot but since i dont know anything about these im not sure. Ive also tried two 12v batteries in series connected to the unit instead of AC power, but it does the same thing.

I do have a new spare circuit board and motor, but dont trust myself to put it in. If the unit is in fact defective does anyone know of a local shop that could repair it? Im hoping i dont have to ship the unit back to ready welder :(

Heres a video of what its doing

[video=youtube_share;1z4qZZsxJCA]http://youtu.be/1z4qZZsxJCA[/video]

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks

Badger

I am the Brute squad
The AC adapter only powers the motor to feed wire while being used with an Arc welder. It does not supply the unit with power for welding. As for hooking up batteries. Did you hook them up in reverse polarity? The red alligator clip goes on black and the black one goes on red while using flux core wire and no tank. I did not have a cold stitch unit but I do know when hooked up with two 12v batteries in reverse polarity the one LED should stay lite red.

Not sure if you have the paper work with it but it might help to read the owners manual
http://readywelder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/RW-Online-Manual.pdf

Team1k

Ok so even though its not giving juice to weld, the gun should still be feeding with AC power right?

Based off the manual when i hooked up the batteries i took two 12v batteries, connected positive from battery 1 to negative on battery 2, then i hooked to the cold switch with positive on battery 2 and negative on battery 1. It was reading 24v on the voltmeter. You are right that i should switch the polarity to use flux but it still should be lit up green and feeding right?

Im leaning more towards a bad circuit board based off what your saying, although im not sure what part the cold switch is playing in all this so i suppose it could be bad as well. It does click and open up for gas flow so hopefully thats a good sign.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
take the cold switch out of the equation. You don't have to use it. The connections should allow you to do so. Does it currently have solid wire in it or flux core?

Badger

I am the Brute squad
Also do you have the small jumper in place while using just batteries? You also have to be sure that you have them on the right connections. I relooked through the manual and it doesn't matter what model it still gets hooked in reverse polarity when using batteries. The only time it gets hooked up positive is when you are using an arc welder for power.

Team1k

Called ready welder yesterday and asked what i needed to do for sending in the unit for repair. The lady said she can definitely get that setup but suggested i speak with their tech first. He called me back on his personal cellphone and confirmed what i was seeing is due to a blown circuit board, then said they would be willing to fix it for just the cost of shipping, or i could give it a try myself if they ship me a new board. I told him i was a little nervous to do it myself but he said it would be easy. He then proceeded to walk me through taking the gun apart while he was on the phone, explained what each part did and how it works, different ways to use the product, and hints/tricks. I had the gun apart easily enough and am now waiting on the board to show up, which they shipped same day and it will be here tomorrow.

I must say i am very impressed with this company. They easily took 40 minutes of their day to work with me and the tech even gave me his personal number telling me to call if i have any questions, problems, or just to let him know that it was working cause he cares about that kind of stuff. Due to the way i was treated i also added on a few more accessories for the unit that they shipped with the board, and definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a portable welder or spool gun.

I will report back on how the unit works once i get the gun up and running.

Team1k

Gun is up an running as it should now. Very cool tool! It will take some getting used to as now the thickness of steel i want to weld is controlled by the configuration of the batteries. Thanks again for the assistance Badger.