Ready Welder II 1000ADP

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I just got this welder today. It's freak'n sweet! It comes in a nice padded plastic case so you can take it with you in your tow rig, or even in your trail rig if you've got a little storage space. It will weld steel or aluminum, and everything from 22 guage, to above 1/2 inch. Basically, it's a spool gun that comes with long leads and clamps. You clamp it to anywhere from 1 to 3 batteries, and you're ready to weld. 2 batteries is sufficient for pretty much any trail repair you would need to make. My tow rig has two batteries under the hood, so I unhooked those from the truck wiring (24 volts to the truck electronics could be bad...) and hooked the up to the welder. The thing welds great. It's flux core wire, so it's not as pretty a bead as you'll get from a gas-shielded mig welder, but it will produce a bead with plenty of penetration. This thing could be a trip saver if you break something and need a welder. Very cool tool.

I paid $395 with free shipping from an ebay store. You can save 50 bucks or so by getting the regular 10000 model. You just don't get the 110v adapter to run the spool gun motor while using a stick welder as the power source for the welder. If you're using this as a trail fix welder, the 10000 model is perfect. Save the 50 bucks.

I do wish the power cables were longer. As it comes out of the box the two batteries need to be basically side-by-side to be hooked up to the power cables. The two batteries on my truck are one either side of the engine. too far apart for the cables that the Ready Welder comes with. I didn't want to physically remove one of the batteries from it's mount in my tow rig, so I just used a high-quality set of jumper cables attatched to one of the batteris to "extend" those battery terminals to the other side. worked like a charm.

I'll probably be doing a full product writeup on this soon, with pictures and details and stuff.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
TimB said:
How about trying it with 12 volts and reporting how it works? I'm curious to see if it makes a decent weld on only one battery.

I tried one out on the trail. Not sure if it was the same model, but it was a Ready Welder. Only used one battery, it was difficult to run a bead with. Ended up with quite the turkey-turd of a weld, but it held for the run. This was on a front spring hanger. I think it would've been fine with 2 batteries.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I love mine... :cool:

I made quick disconnect cables so I can easily add extensions too...
connectors.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
James K said:
thats what i need to do. what do those things run?

$5-10? Its been a while since I picked some up & last time I grabbed ~20 of them. I use them for all sorts of things, my winches, my 120V convter, my jumper cables, welder, etc. I call them my back to the future connectors.

There is a forklift supply place in SLC that has em' (Advanced Handling?), or you can get them from the online places...

James K

NO, I'm always like this
cruiseroutfit said:
$5-10? Its been a while since I picked some up & last time I grabbed ~20 of them. I use them for all sorts of things, my winches, my 120V convter, my jumper cables, welder, etc. I call them my back to the future connectors.

There is a forklift supply place in SLC that has em' (Advanced Handling?), or you can get them from the online places...

cool, thanks.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I tried it briefly with just one battery. I would only do that for sheetmetal. For thicker material it is not going to produce a sufficient weld with one battery.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
i would highly suggest buying extra connoctors .i have a question about those ones linked to .do they come with the pins as well?.replace the ones that come with the welder so they all match.

i have 1 on the front of the truck ,rear of the truck,one one the winch,one on the welder,two on a 20 foot extension ,and one on the end of some jumper clips.as said i use the hell out of mine and with the extensions as well as the front and rear clips it makes it real easy to reach the problem.

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Badger said:
i would highly suggest buying extra connoctors .i have a question about those ones linked to .do they come with the pins as well?.replace the ones that come with the welder so they all match.

i have 1 on the front of the truck ,rear of the truck,one one the winch,one on the welder,two on a 20 foot extension ,and one on the end of some jumper clips.as said i use the hell out of mine and with the extensions as well as the front and rear clips it makes it real easy to reach the problem.
So how do you have it wired? Do you have two batteries in your truck? Do you disconnect them from the truck wiring before connecting the welder to prevent sending 24 volts through your truck's system?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
James K said:
what size are the ones that come with the welder? they look like the smaller ones.

OK, I take all that ideal BS I said back... :p

I am using the 175A ones (I just went out and looked)... Those are the same size that Ready Welders & Warn use. However the official Warn ones have a little "guide" on them that has to be shaved off so it can be used with the rest, kind've a proprietary deal I guess.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
yes i have two batteries.one in the front on in the back.i disconnect them from the truck wiring before welding

i have it wired so that both batteries stay in their spot and i just flip some wires depending on which way i have to go.

Last edited: