Real life costs of a SOA

P

pokeyYJ

Since everyone keeps telling me to do this I want to know what I can expect the cost of doing a SOA would be.

I am talking completly done, SYE, maybe a new rear axle (I would only do 33's for now) Steering, traction bar(s), the whole kit-and-kabudle.

Also since I can't weld, what would that cost me in extra labor?

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
Since everyone keeps telling me to do this I want to know what I can expect the cost of doing a SOA would be.

I am talking completly done, SYE, maybe a new rear axle (I would only do 33's for now) Steering, traction bar(s), the whole kit-and-kabudle.

Also since I can't weld, what would that cost me in extra labor?

rear axle(8.8 or 44) 100-200.
Whats an SYE cost?
steering....depends. 50 to 500
drivelines... 500
traction bar...make your own

Welding, man you go to WSU, you need to be takin advantage of the resources available to you. I was over there until 9 tonight working on my jeep. (plasma cutter, welder, all the tools needed to fab)
Welding is not difficult at all. I could teach you. maybe....as long as you don't throw me anymore peace signs.:D

P

pokeyYJ

I would take advantage, but I work every night until about 7p.m. and I really don't want to drive back to Weber. Thats another 50 miles

P

pokeyYJ

No, I gotta drive up in the morning from Bountiful, then drive to work in Centerville, I would have to go back up after work. Maybe if I got all the parts, I could take a couple of days off and do it, but then I would have nothing to drive.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
If your talking doing a new rear axle: gears, locker will need to be included.
SRS or not? adds to cost if you go that route.
Brake hoses. etc etc.
I would say 1500.00 to 1800.00 with some help from friends.

Now this may seem high or not.

But plan for the worse hope for the best.

Caleb

Originally posted by Shawn
Drive Lines and Tires.

The rest is pennies.

Yep...the rest is mostly time...honestly if you are looking to do it cheap then I would use stock axles and then when you get the extra money find a rear and build it then swap it in...welding two extra perches and two extra shock mounts is no biggie...or live with what you have while you gather parts and then have a work day, buy some food/beer and invite some friends and I can garauntee you can get it done in a day or two at the most...

P

pokeyYJ

I like the idea of reusing my axles that I have now. That way I don't have to pay for gears and lockers right off. Plus I can look at getting the right stuff and still have something to drive.

What does everyone think of the Full Traction Bolt-on SOA? What about the M.O.R.E. kit?

redrock

when i started asking about SOA someone don't remeber who said you will want to weld them. he said he tried the bolt on and they worked lose or something and he welded them after all that

Caleb

It may have been me that said that...but what happened with mine is at the time I didnt have my own welder so I bought the perches that clamped on...I set the pinion angle and got everything good to go...I was then going to drive over to my bro-in-laws house (about 2 miles away) to weld them on...the first time I took off my pinion shot straight up and I toasted a ujoint...I was then stuck in the middle of a major intersection...it sucked...I would honestly stay away from bolt on...especially when there are so many guys that can and will weld them on for you...

redrock

Originally posted by supergper
It may have been me that said that...but what happened with mine is at the time I didnt have my own welder so I bought the perches that clamped on...I set the pinion angle and got everything good to go...I was then going to drive over to my bro-in-laws house (about 2 miles away) to weld them on...the first time I took off my pinion shot straight up and I toasted a ujoint...I was then stuck in the middle of a major intersection...it sucked...I would honestly stay away from bolt on...especially when there are so many guys that can and will weld them on for you...
yeah i remeber it was i would do what supergper and the rest say just buy the perches and what ever you need and just buy beer and good food and have weekend party i don't think it will take that long