Rear Anti-Sway Bar

Cory

I have a 95 YJ, that during inspection the guy said that I need a rear anti-sway bar. I'm about 95% sure that Wranglers didn't get rear anti-sway bars until the 97 TJs came out with coil springs. Can anyone confirm this and have a link to any documentation so I can fight this?

chans

Only a front sway bar and track bar is all I've seen on a YJ. Maybe get a Chilton repair manual or copy the suspension pages of a factory repair manual to show the guy.

soda blaster

they did have rear track bars on them I just finished cutting one off for a crawler we are doing. I still have the bar I am pretty sure if you need it take a look up there and see if you have the bracket still

Last edited:

Cory

I thought that maybe he meant track bar, but I didn't want to go there with him. I have the frame bracket for my track bar but have an 8.8 axle that doesn't have a bracket for a track bar. So I'm trying to avoid having to have a bracket added. I've been taking by Jeep to the same place for 7 plus years. They never cared before, but he also made me hook up my front sway links, which haven't been hooked up in 7 years.

Corban_White

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/PLTmanual.pdf
Utah Safety Inspection Manual said:

SUSPENSION - Continued​
F. SWAY BARS / TORSION BARS / TRACKING COMPONENTS​
1. Visually inspect for damage.
a.​
REJECT when:
1) Sway bar(s), torsion bar(s) or any tracking component(s)
are loose, cracked, bent or disconnected.

2) Bushings are worn, cracked or missing.

Looks like technically it does fail. I say take it somewhere else but that is a bit difficult because if they completed the inspection it is in the computer and if you take it somewhere else within 30 days they will pull up the vin and tell you to go back to the place where it was done previously. If you wait 30 days it "should" be out of the system and you can go somewhere else.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/PLTmanual.pdf

Looks like technically it does fail. I say take it somewhere else but that is a bit difficult because if they completed the inspection it is in the computer and if you take it somewhere else within 30 days they will pull up the vin and tell you to go back to the place where it was done previously. If you wait 30 days it "should" be out of the system and you can go somewhere else.

But, the tech failed for SWAY bar, which it never had....Can't fail it for something it never had....

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I got failed a couple months ago for having my front swaybar disconnected. It was still there, just bunjee-corded up out of the way. It's been that way for years, no one has ever said a thing.

But the moron that tested my wrangler also failed me on a bunch of other bogus crap that he literally made up. Well, they'd be legit reasons to fail a car, but they weren't problems on my wrangler. He said I had an exhaust manifold leak. I asked him where it was, he couldn't tell me - said he needed a stethoscope to find it. He also said my windshield wiper fluid motor didn't work. It works fine, the reservoir was empty and he didn't bother checking it. Don't ever go to Master Muffler at 1300 N. State in Orem, the guy couldn't find his butthole with two hands and a map. :rolleyes: