rear d60 blows shaft

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Constrictor ... the nest ... Broken a member here, gives it a solid moab bump and blows the passenger side shaft ... close to the spindal.

I've heard the 60's just are not as tough as a GMC 14B. Appears to be the case. It was not a radical bump at all, but definately most of the vehical weight on the rear axle. I was surprised when I heard the snap.

I figured the d60 would be tougher than that

Last edited:
was it a 30 spline shaft, seen them wind up like torsion bars and snap. this is why the 35 spline shafts are alot stronger and allmost a must with with a 60 rear. i run a 14 bolt and only seem to crack the tubes were they enter the housing, so far no axle breakage, jason.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
If it was a 30 spline (stock-size) shaft, I'm not surprised at all. They're actually pretty weak, and breaking right by the axle flange is the typical spot.

If they were upgraded to 35 spline, then I am surprised it broke--that's the same diameter as your 14 bolt shafts. (both 1.5", although your spline count is different from a Dana, 30 vs. 35)

sbr

Sorry I don't have any pics either the shaft broke about 6 inches from the gears nothing spectacular just twisted off we tried to clean out the pieces but really only got 2 little ones the rest was just in half we just drove it out I didn't have a camera there and the guy who did was using film so it could be awhile. But it was a stock shaft. we have not taken it apart yet but really Not a big deaL . was a good time though we got out just before it started to rain.