Rear diff won't engage, bad actuator??

juhcohbee

does anyone have any idea whats going on with my stock rear e locker? i have it in four low in neutral, it just makes this sound but it dosn't engage so the light keeps blinking.. it drives fine in 4 low while the light is blinking.. any idea would be great, I'm thinking of cleaning it.. I've never done anything with lockers, any help would be awesome!! Thanks guys
video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi0bjvFpDFQ&feature=youtu.be

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Try backing up in circles after hitting the locker button. Sounds weird but that is what I would do if I had not engaged it in a while.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I have done it on both, but i also had the grey wire mod and could engage the locker at anytime instead of just 4 low.

theferg

DD for Life
That sounds like the motor can't rotate the worm gear shaft that the shift fork rides on. Something is causing it to bind up. Most likely is rust I'd think. I'd recommend pulling the motor off the diff and do a bench test on it and see what it does.

ricsrx

cant you just pull the motor off the diff and test it still pluged in to the truck harness?

juhcohbee

Cool. Good to hear. Did you have to clean it up much? It's also a good idea to use some good electric grease on the connectors.
yeah it was very nasty, the part with the gear that goes into the actual diff, was seized up very bad and took a few hits with a hammer to break it loose.
locker.jpg