Rear Disc Brake Conversion Problems

redrock

Ok So I added a disc brake kit to my 88 YJ. I also added a Master Cylinder out of 2000 half ton dodge. At first the pedal was hard as a rock and when I drove the jeep, my brakes were dragging. I adjusted the push rod and it gave me more pedal, released the brakes from dragging, but the stopping power is still weak. This week in Moab I had to push the pedal as hard as I can to assure it would hold me back on hills. I also encountered brake drag on my driver side rear axle and this caused my axle bearing to burn up.

After doing some reading looks like I need a proportioning valve to have the rear disc brakes work correctly. So my first question is has anyone ever had these problems and how did you fix it..... And my second question is the Power Booster in a YJ strong enough to work with the bigger MC. :confused:

C
Thanks

thenag

Do you have the combo valve under the MC? If so you can pull the o-ring off the residual pressure valve.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forum...roportioning-valve-for-rear-drum-to-disc-swap

some people will swap in a combo valve from a jeep with disks on the rear

drum brakes need to have a little pressure on them all the time, disks like to have a little pressure but most people have good luck with just pulling the residual pressure valve. Mine locks up my 37's front and rears pretty evenly on a panic stop.

If you have time read through the Billavista Brake bible on pirate4x4 (it is heavy reading you will have to read it a few times)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Brakes/

Nathan

Last edited:

RockChucker

You'd probably be ahead to go back to a factory sized master cylinder. The bigger cylinder from the dodge moves more fluid but because it is a bigger bore your force is spread out over a larger area effectively giving you a lower psi in the brake system and a harder pedal.
If you have factory brakes on the front I don't see any reason to change the master cylinder from a factory one with your setup

flexyfool

GDW
You'd probably be ahead to go back to a factory sized master cylinder. The bigger cylinder from the dodge moves more fluid but because it is a bigger bore your force is spread out over a larger area effectively giving you a lower psi in the brake system and a harder pedal.
If you have factory brakes on the front I don't see any reason to change the master cylinder from a factory one with your setup

X2