Rear Driveline

fatkid44

Use Wayne and AllJeep.com
My rear driveline broke last weekend on Potato Salad, and came completely off. One of the tabs that holds the U-Joint in on the axle yoke sheered off, and the slip yoke end also had a chunk break off. The teeth still looked good. I replaced the slip yoke end with one off a 89 comanche. It wasn't the exact same yoke, but was the same length. When I removed the axle yoke, I just took off the nut and left the pinion there. After re-assembly, the jeep seemed to drive a little smoother. I ran Hells revenge with no problems, but after wards we heard some loud pops from the vicinty of the rear pumpkin. It drove home (to spanish fork) alright, and made it to Provo and back today, but with some serious vibes going 70 on I-15 today. My questions are: Can you unbolt a pinion from the outside, and then rebolt without affecting the inside? What could be the cause of the popping? Why the new vibes?

I have a 97 XJ sport, skyjacker 3" lift, AAL rear, plus tera flex 1.5" shackles. No T-Case drop kit, original driveshaft. Any help would be appreciated. Conrad

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
just guessing but,the vibrations.. you may have tweeked you drive shaft when the shockload from the yoke and joint breaking..If you are running a lunchbox locker (lockrite) you may have a broken pin, or a bent housing which could cause the locker to spool and (pop) as it released due to the shaft going into the locker on an angle..If your running a D35 with a locker this is likely. good luck.

fatkid44

No locker, I thought I had a C8.25, but the axle yoke came off a 91 XJ D35. So it must be a D35. From looking at it, it appeared the tab sheered off first (who knows why, maybe cold temps?) and then slipped to one side, ripped off only one U Joint C-Clip, and the driveshaft continued to spin until if fell off, breaking about a inch v-shaped piece off the end of the slip yoke.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
fatkid44 said:
My questions are: Can you unbolt a pinion from the outside, and then rebolt without affecting the inside? What could be the cause of the popping? Why the new vibes?

I have a 97 XJ sport, skyjacker 3" lift, AAL rear, plus tera flex 1.5" shackles. No T-Case drop kit, original driveshaft. Any help would be appreciated. Conrad

No you cannot just remove the yoke and just put a new one on. Your reaarend has a crush sleeve that sets your pinion bearing preload. You probably have destroyed your gears and pinion bearings.

Max Power

Bryce
Sorry to hear about your gears. I am friends with Nathen and he told me about the breakage. I would drive it till it breaks the gears or is fine. Sometimes things just have a way of working them selves out. If they are ruined I know a guy that will give you a good deal on new gears and labor if needed.

Last edited:

WJL

I would not drive it till it complety breaks.
Ie What if he is traveling down I-15 at 65 and the gears let loose and lock the rear up. Not a fun ride especially in traffic.
Take a look at it before you destroy more than you can afford or hurt you or someone else.

Just my 2 cents

fatkid44

Yeah, I try not to drive it unless I absolutely have to. I'm probably moving to provo for school I won't have to drive it at all.

Max, you are friends with Nate Lyon?

Max Power

Bryce
Yes I am friends with Nate Lyon. He will be my brother-in-law pretty soon. Sorry about the bad advice saying to drive it till it breaks.

Last edited:

fatkid44

Dude, its all good. I actually drove it today, just to the high school here to switch my little brother, and it broke. I sounds like the spider gears and side gears went. Definately something in the axle. Now I might just get a detroit from a buddy and get that put in. Anyways, I talked to Nate today, and he figured it was you. You should come to Moab with us sometime, I'll give you the same deal I give Nate, but don't tell anyone, ha ha. I think we're gonna try and go Presidents Day weekend.

Max Power

Bryce
Thanks for the invite. You can count me in. Also good call with the detroit. You just can't go wrong with one of those. Who are you going to have install it? The guy that put my gears and lockers in gave me a good deal and he is really good. He worked for factory tubular when they were open.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
WJL said:
I would not drive it till it complety breaks.
Ie What if he is traveling down I-15 at 65 and the gears let loose and lock the rear up. Not a fun ride especially in traffic.
Take a look at it before you destroy more than you can afford or hurt you or someone else.

Just my 2 cents

X2..I agree completely!
Currently, you may just need to replace some bearings and such. Maybe the gears and locker are fine. I'd tear into it and see what you have before you drive it anymore. If you don't know how to do it, remove the rear end and take it somewhere, just don't drive it anymore. Most shops will do the work cheaper if the rear end is out of the car anyway. I know I will.....

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
fatkid44 said:
Dude, its all good. I actually drove it today, just to the high school here to switch my little brother, and it broke. I sounds like the spider gears and side gears went. Definately something in the axle. Now I might just get a detroit from a buddy and get that put in. Anyways, I talked to Nate today, and he figured it was you. You should come to Moab with us sometime, I'll give you the same deal I give Nate, but don't tell anyone, ha ha. I think we're gonna try and go Presidents Day weekend.

Honestly, if it is a D35, I wouldn't waste the money.... I'd do a Ford 8.8 swap and put the Detroit in that....

fatkid44

I've had to replace front side gears and spider gears, so I think its that. The only reason I'm gonna "waste money" on the D35 is because I can get the Detroit (used) for $100, close to what it cost me to replace the side gears and spider gears. I'll tear into tomorrow and see what it is for sure. I'll probably need to find a shop though, to install the detroit and make sure the pinion bearings are all ok. I'll take suggestions. Thanks for the advice wayne, I hadn't even of thought to take the axle out, much easier to transport than towing the whole jeep. I'll keep you all posted, and Max, I'll have Nate keep you posted about Moab.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
fatkid44 said:
I've had to replace front side gears and spider gears, so I think its that. The only reason I'm gonna "waste money" on the D35 is because I can get the Detroit (used) for $100, close to what it cost me to replace the side gears and spider gears. I'll tear into tomorrow and see what it is for sure. I'll probably need to find a shop though, to install the detroit and make sure the pinion bearings are all ok. I'll take suggestions. Thanks for the advice wayne, I hadn't even of thought to take the axle out, much easier to transport than towing the whole jeep. I'll keep you all posted, and Max, I'll have Nate keep you posted about Moab.
The Detroit might cost you the same as repairing the axle, but remember, locked D35's don't last with larger tires. Sure, you hear a few people say they have it locked with 35's for years, but look how many don't. My point, you might be able to fix it for $100, but for how long, and the next break may not be so easily repaired. I can usually pick up a Ford 8.8" with 3.73's or 4.10's for about $300-400. Add another $100 for brackets and yoke and you'll have a much stronger axle and you will be done.

fatkid44

The update: It wasn't anything I thought it was. I've been busy with school and moved out, so I don't have a computer anymore. Anyways, the low down? One of the carrier bearings siezed, and then proceeded to explode. This let the the carrier slide over, and the bearing race ground down into the carrier, and reamed down the outside of the tube the bearing sits on. So thanks to Moab 4x4Outpost and the manager of Cliffhanger Jeep Rental, Jeff, I scored a free used carrier. Luckily the side gears, ring and pinion were all still good. So last night we got it put back together, and now its actually quieter and smoother than it used to be. Thanks for the all help.

Wayne, $100 would have been worth it to me to have a detroit for now, since I only have 31's and my rubber will stay that size for atleast another year or so until I can pay off the jeep. I'll probably just buy an XJ 44 when I go bigger, or try to shorten a D60. For know its my DD and wheeler, but that will change in the future. Thanks for the advice though

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
fatkid44 said:
The update: It wasn't anything I thought it was. I've been busy with school and moved out, so I don't have a computer anymore. Anyways, the low down? One of the carrier bearings siezed, and then proceeded to explode. This let the the carrier slide over, and the bearing race ground down into the carrier, and reamed down the outside of the tube the bearing sits on. So thanks to Moab 4x4Outpost and the manager of Cliffhanger Jeep Rental, Jeff, I scored a free used carrier. Luckily the side gears, ring and pinion were all still good. So last night we got it put back together, and now its actually quieter and smoother than it used to be. Thanks for the all help.

Wayne, $100 would have been worth it to me to have a detroit for now, since I only have 31's and my rubber will stay that size for atleast another year or so until I can pay off the jeep. I'll probably just buy an XJ 44 when I go bigger, or try to shorten a D60. For know its my DD and wheeler, but that will change in the future. Thanks for the advice though
What a mess! Glad to hear it was repairable! :D