Rear end clicking

FastGas

I've been noticing a steady click-click-click pause click-click-click from my rear end since returned from Moab. It does not change in tone/speed when making left or right circles but does change with speed. It also clicks in both forward and reverse. I had the axle regeared and an ARB locker installed about 1k miles ago.
I crawled under the truck today and drained the gear oil, which came out clean and chunk free. I jacked it up by the axle and spun both wheels with the driveshaft disconnected. The left spun free and smooth. The right turned with a little resistance and I could hear faint clicking somewhere in the axle but couldn't pinpoint it. The locker still locks and it doesn't make any weird moans or groans while accelerating. It does make a strange noise only at a very specific RPM range while coasting, probably 1800 rpm to 1750 rpm. It sound something like this only just a few clicks with every wheel rotation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY5FDb-_40o

FastGas

Also it has a brand new driveshaft and the axle has about 34k on it and all new pinion bearings were installed when the locker was put in.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's a D44 under a Rodeo.

I'd tend to think brakes first, especially since you felt a difference between right and left sides. Or maybe wheel bearings, but not sure. Do you know what the problem was on the 4runner in the video you linked?

FastGas

there was no follow up on that 4runner video. it also seems like i have a ton of free play in the driveshaft. ill take a vid of that tomorrow. im wondering if i have a broken tooth or two on the ring gear or worse

RogueJeepr

Here!
I would think brakes also.
My old rig had a self adjuster that was for the wrong side and it loosened up on fins-and-things . Leaving me with only a 1/4 pedal but I could still stop.
Check lugnuts too. They can make weird noises.

FastGas

Could it be a wheel bearing? I assumed it would change click rates with left and right turns if it was the bad apple

FastGas

Turns out it was a combination of a bad driver's side rear wheel bearing and a loose trailing arm mount.

Last edited: