Rear End Question?

Mr.Chevy

I have a 96 Chevy s-10 ZR2 that I want to know what you guys think about the rear ends in them. Are the rear ends in the s-10's any good? Spline count? Any other info would help. I am wanting to put a locker in it and about a 35" tire after I put a 6" lift on it:D Will this rear end hold up to that?:confused: Also what would be a good locker for it?

Any info would help. Thanks Alan

Bone Down

Depending on the actual rear end (I think that it is just a narrow 10 bolt), I am not sure what optional axles are available in the ZR2's, but if it is in fact the 10 bolt then ---->

I have no real technical data to back this up, but in my search for axle options to put in my YJ, I came across a post that referred to this rear end as the D35 of chevy axles.

So with that in mind I would guess that the D35 rules would apply.

You could get away with 35's with an easy foot, but if you needed to push it a little on the trails, you could end up breaking.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Badcop said:
Arnt they the sterling 10.25?

In a GM product? Sterling is Ford owned.

I'm pretty confident you've got a 10 bolt. I'd check the ZR2/S10 forums for general info. I think it was supposed to 'upgraded' for off-road use like the rest of the truck, but from GM that could just be a ZR2 sticker or they might have actually done something.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
yep supposed to be 8.5 ring gear and I would assume 31 spine, but ya never now.