rear shock mounting angle

ElJefe

uh. . .
with my 14 bolt in my Cherokee I was gonna have to come thru the floor for my upper shock mounts. But now I know I have to cut my gas tank down I can mount my shocks angled torwards each other. My question is how much of an angle should I put them at? this is for like 50/50 on and offroad drivin.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
There's no set magic number, really. The farther from vertical you mount them, the less damping they'll provide. That can be good or bad, depending on the type of shock and weight of the rig, etc.

Since you're working with a relatively heavy rig, I'm guessing you'll want more damping rather than less--so a stiffer shock, mounted more vertically will make you happier. Mount them as vertical as you can and still get the travel you need out of the space available.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Well put, Carl.

I'm going to need a LOT stiffer shock, since I'll be moving the upper mounting point at least 6" when I inboard them. And the only reason I'm doing that is because the bushings take all the angle at articulation...

ElJefe

uh. . .
so it may be better for me to come thru the floor? It doesnt bother me to come up thru the floor since I'm gonna build a wall right behind the rear seat.

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
Here is how I did mine. I know that it is a bad pic, but it is the only one that I have on my work comp.

I set mine to bottom out when the spring was fully compressed, and to have most of the stroke left for the droop side.
They are 14" stroke shocks.

))--SLIVER-->

Attachments

• IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 29

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
i had mine set up like that on my yota truck and would sway pretty bad on the freeway.

not they are straight up and down threw the bed and it has much better drive ability i say if your going threw the floor go vertical it does not harm the movement of the axle at all

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
how does that do on the road with them at that angle?

It does good, I drive it to work and back on the freeway 46 mi each way.
With the top on it feels like it has a little body roll, I feel that this is acceptable with a lifted trail vehicle. However with the top off I don't notice the body roll at all.
I was not willing to cut holes in my floor, and I did want the long shocks, so this is the route I went.
All and all i'm happy with the set up.

))--SLIVER-->

ElJefe

uh. . .
so totally straight up and down will work?

I would like to see some pics of shock mounts thru the floor. I would do them at an angle but it is a pretty heavy rig, especially with my gas tank full and all my camping gear in it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
As Carl detailed, the angle of the shock will more or less increase or decrease the dampening of a shock, however it all going to be relative to the original damening rate of the shock (not easy to compare from brand to brand), as well as your particular vehicles suspension and sprung/unsprung weight. My suggestion would be to find a "similar" vehicle and use similar angles with the same shocks if their results have been satisfactory.