rear steer

baerpaws

I just got handed a front 60 (dodge) how difficult would it be to put on the rear. Is it a big deal to just leave the pumpkin on one side? Can I turn it in reverse or would I have to flip the pumpkin?

I'm just thinking. I thought it would be cool more than anything

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Flipping it would cause oiling issues, I think. You should be able to just put it in. The rotation of the rear output would make the front diff rotate normal if put in the rear (if I make any sense).

If you wanted to center it you'd only have to re-tube one side.

baerpaws

So I could just put it in? I would more than likely just put it in and not retube.

Next question. Drive flange or hub?
Locker or Spool?

I'm more concerned about durability. Keep in mind I know it will be weeker than my 60 I have now. I'm looking at aleast CTMs and Chromoly shafts

And no I'm not looking for sexy cool that looks awsome. More of my son saying rear steer is cool cause he really wants it. I'm a sucker for my boys thoughts.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I know more people will chime in soon... Yes, you should be able to just throw it in. I'd go locker so that there would be less stress & bind on the shafts / u-joints, especially for a rear steering axle. Definitely drive flanges. :D

baerpaws

The good part is that I have all the parts here, Except the brackets for mounting it. I'm hoping for more input before I comit.
Thanks Shane- am I going to see you on Thanksgiving?

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
although I know nothing of putting a front axle in the rear (unless its a rockwell)

Ive got to say that rear steering is the best mod I have ever done on the Scout. It is FUN!!!

Not to mention VERY convienient.

I will never build another "trail only" rig without rear steer again

I say DO IT!!!

and I second the locker. welded spiders or a spool puts a lot of strain on parts

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yes, just put it in. Turning it upside down will make it drive backwards, and since the front will try to drive forward, you'll end up ripping your frame and body in half, and that would look silly. That's a low-pinion 60, so you won't have coast-side gear strength problems running it in the rear like you would with a high-pinion axle. 35 spline chrome-molly shafts and CTMs should hold up to most recreational use. The ball joints may be your weakest spot. Is that a CAD axle? Does anyone make alloy CAD shafts?

Running it with the differential off-center could cause some vibrations, if the u-joint angle at the diff and the u-joint angle at the t-case are different. What about picking up a rear 60 from a junk yard for $100, cut the inner knuckles off the Dodge front and weld them onto the rear axle? You'd almost certainly need custom-length shafts, but that would center your diff and solve your potential CAD problem. You would need to figure out a seal, since most rear 60s are full-float and are sealed at the hub. That shouldn't be too hard to track down though.

I'd avoid running a spool.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
If it's a pre-'94 axle, you don't have to worry about ball joints, so that'd be a plus, and also you'd have 35 spline inners and diff-guts too.

94+ and you do have ball joints to worry about...:-\ and 32 spline inner shafts, unit bearings, and 32 spline stubs.

BUT... since you're talking about drive flanges vs. hubs, I'm assuming you've got the pre 94 goodness...

So, put a detroit in there, some chromos and CTMs, whip up some rear hydro and give it hell!:D

Bart

I say flip it, mount it and hit the skinny pedal right off the bat. OK, that's a lot of work for a second of destruction, but man that'd be fun to see. You are a sucker for your son. Good for you.