Rebuilding and Alternator

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Never taken my alternator to a rebuild place, but talked about it a lot. Anyone ever done so and happy with the results? Hear you can take a standard 130 amp alternator and increase the output amps.

Just wondering if this is a good way to go.

The boy has a 2006 Tacoma, good stereo, lights etc. Just looking to up the amps.

Thanks,

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
The times I have had it done, they just swap me out for one that they had already rebuilt.. but I am sure if I was looking for something specific they could have rebuilt the same unit.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I used Henstroms a couple times before they went away. One time I swapped my OEM unit for one they'd already rebuilt, the next time I had them rebuild mine and rewind it for a couple extra amps. I haven't gone looking for a new place though.

I've done this successfully. Anything newer, they just swapped for a rebuilt unit. The only ones I've had to wait for were old, antique parts. Then they actually rebuilt it.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Rebuilding alternators and starters is pretty easy, its finding the parts that's hard. Most of the chain auto parts stores rebuilt pieces have low quality components, so rebuilding what you have will likely give you a better alternator/starter for a lot less money.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
There would be two points to having it rebuilt vs just buying a napa one. First I would hope the cost would be less and second would be to try and get more amps out of it than the stock alternator.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I’ve used these guys a few times. They have been great to work with

Awesome. As luck would have it the wife's battery light came on yesterday, and I suspect the crappy O'Reillys rebuilt alternator. If I'm right I'll give those guys a visit.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have used generator exchange several times. They are good guys and know their stuff. I have odd ball equipment at work and it's nice to just be able to drop a starter or alternator on their counter and not get a million questions that I don't know the answers to. They just look at it and most of the time just go back and grab one off the shelf. They have had to rebuild a couple times though. No big deal. Just wish they weren't out in the middle of nowhere.